SOFT CRACKLE FIRES AND SLEEP TALKING

SINCE EUSTACE'S INTERUPTION, Edmund had spent the day frustrated, scrubbing his sword more viciously and energized than he had before.

He didn't think it was fair that his cousin had the ability to seem to ruin everything for him, and since the events that had interrupted Edmund's plans had the audacity to have not been all that interesting, it made the matters even worse. All that happened was that Reepicheep and Eustace gotten into a friendly swordfight, which was disappointing at most for Reepicheep hadn't even given the blonde a scratch, which made Edmund even more irritated.

He didn't have to be decapitated, but he could have at least gotten stabbed.

It was only when Eustace knocked over a basket containing a small stow-away, Gael- the new crewmate's daughter - that Edmund had realized Eustace had ruined another person's plan.

This angered him more.

He decided to spend the rest of the day alone, glaring at Eustace who continued to fawn over Catherine, persuading the Princess to clean his non-existent cuts, all while making her grimace at the sad attempts that the young boy had at flirting, claiming that he had easily won the battle. Edmund wanted to walk over and tell him to piss off.

His mood lifted, however, when they came across the second island, which yet again seemed abandoned.

'It looks inhabited.' Caspian explained as he passed the telescope to Edmund, who took is silently.

'But if the Lords followed the mist east, they would have stopped here.'

'Could be a trap.' Caspian said, taking note of the last inhabited island they came across.

'Or, it could hold some answers.' Edmund argued, clenching his jaw. He had obviously already made his decision, but could not make any demands. 'Caspian?'

Caspian took a few minutes to decide on his plan before nodding to himself, preparing to set sail as he hooked his sword to his belt.

'We'll spend the night on shore, scour the island in the morning.'

'Aye, your majesty.'

...

THE SUN WAS ALREADY hiding behind the mountains as the Narnians reached the island, Caspian instructing that they find a soft place to rest before the morning, where they would hunt for another unsuspecting Lord.

Pinks and reds showered the green floor, large bushes separating each of the Narnians as they clustered together in a small arrangements, the sun melting into dark behind them as the starts littered above them in an organized melody. They chattered lightly, a tired ambience in the air as they sat around a small fire, crackling in the middle of them upon a pile of twigs and branches that they had managed to gather together. Catherine lay down her blanket and sat on it, softly, before accepting a small bowl of soup that Caspian was passing around. With a grunt, he made his way to sit down next to her.

The siblings stared deeply into the fire, Caspian holding his bowl between his knees as his sharp features became illuminated by the fiery glow, making him look rugged and his tired features appear much more evident in the light.

'I'm sorry I haven't been able to see you much.' Caspian said, suddenly, making Catherine turn to him, surprised. 'I've just been busy with King duties that I've forgotten that I also have a duty to you, as a brother.'

Catherine remained quiet, continuing to stare at the fire. She wasn't going to tell him that he was wrong for assuming such things, both of them knowing fine well that things had never been the same since he was crowned King of Narnia. He was much more busy and had less time with her. A part of her hoped that the trip on the Dawn Treader would not just allow them to find the seven Lords of Telmar, but also their connection, which seemed dull in comparison as they watched Lucy and Edmund.