STAY

THE NARNIAN TROOPS stood around Eustace in a circle, watching him with disapproving expressions as he attempted to take off the golden arm-band that was trapped on his claw, uncomfortably. Catherine pursed her lips into a small line, walking over to help him.

'He must have been tempted by treasure.' She said with a disapproving glare. The dragon shrunk shyly, embarrassed to have made such a decision and she gently pulled at the band.

'Anyone knows that a dragon's treasure is enchanted.' Caspian scoffed before noticing a sour look that Eustace had passed him. He swallowed, correcting himself. 'Well, anyone from ...here.'

Catherine pulled off the golden band with a grunt, causing a loud cry from Eustace who hopped feebly on three feet before gently putting it down, the band having cut into his wrist. Edmund scowled.

'Is there any way to change him back?' He asked.

'Not that I know of.' Caspian shrugged. Edmund pressed his lips into a fine line, tutting gently.

'Aunt Alberta will not be pleased.'

Reepicheep shyly made his way over to the dragon, who continued to glare at him, or more specifically, his sword. The mouse chuckled, apologetically.

'Sorry about the hand, old boy.' He apologized. 'I can be a little overzealous at times.'

'The boats are ready, Sire.' A crewmember announced, walking towards the small group and Caspian turned around, debating on what to do. He sent a knowing look to Catherine, who raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

'We cant just leave him here!'

'I don't want him to be alone.' Lucy said, quietly, sending Catherine a grateful smile.

'We can't bring him on board, your Majesties.' Drinian said, passing her a strict gaze. Catherine pursed her lips, knowingly, not bothering to argue.

'Drinian,' Caspian instructed, working out what to do. 'You and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here until morning and work out what to do.'

'But you've no provisions,' Mr. Riche began. 'And no means of staying warm, your Majesty.'

Suddenly, a ball of fire was lit onto a nearby log of wood and Catherine found herself grinning, wolfishly as she turned to Eustace, who had a shy, triumphant smile on his face, pleased with his new skills.

She raised a single brow. 'You were saying?'

...

THE NIGHT FELL QUICKLY, and exhaustion took over most of the crewmates staying on land until there was nothing left but the soft crackle of wood and gentle snoring that murmured behind them. Edmund was sitting by Eustace at the other end, throwing pieces of grass and other items he had found on the floor into the fire, watching it hiss with a bored expression.

Caspian sat upright, leaning against a small rock with his legs sprawled out in front of him, Catherine laying on his lap with a content expression. He was playing with her hair, something he used to do when they were kids, and it helped him relax as he gave her soft braids before restarting all over again.

'I've never seen these constellations before.' She said, gently, her eyes sparkling under the illumination of the fire and the gaze of the stars. Caspian followed her eyes.

'Me neither.' He said, his tone calm and gentle. 'We're a long way from home.'

Catherine nodded, but didn't reply, her eyes focusing on each of the stars as the tried to connect them in her mind. Caspian spoke again, a faint memory on his lips accompanied by a fond smile.