Chapter One

Sugawara was on the sidelines with Daichi, Kiyoko, and the adults as they supervised the boys practice for their upcoming Dumpster Showdown with Nekoma.

"They're getting better every day, but remember that Nekoma is practicing just as much as we are," Coach Ukai said to no one in particular.

"Yeah, and they know that. They really want to win this." Daichi responded.

Ukai turned to him and said, "Take a look at Tsukishima, I've never seen him practice so intensely. It's good to see that he's finally getting into it." The captain nodded and the two began to discuss strategies and formations to beat Nekoma while Takeda yelled out some words of praise and encouragement to Tsukishima.

"Daichi," Sugawara interrupted, "Tsukki usually has better form, doesn't he? And his balance seems to be a bit off, too." Daichi looked at the boy in question. "I'm not imagining that, am I?"

"I noticed it too. He's just tired, though. Apparently he was up late studying for a test. I wouldn't worry too much about it"

"No, it has to be something more," Suga insisted. Daichi didn't know why his boyfriend suddenly became serious, but he trusted him, so he turned back around to continue his discussion with the coach. Sugawara had a talent for understanding how all his teammates were feeling, but he struggled with Tsukishima. On top of being the hardest to read, he was also a first year, so they didn't know each other all that well.

He isn't very trusting, so even if something's wrong I know he won't tell me. The only person he's close to is...

"Yamaguchi!" Suga called out, motioning for him to come closer. When they were both out of earshot from Tsukishima, he asked, "Is Tsukki okay? He seems to have trouble balancing. I know he stayed up late last night, but something else seems to be bothering him. Something deeper."

Yamaguchi seemed taken off-guard by the question, so Suga leaned in closer and continued, "I don't mean to pry, but if it's something serious, at least Daichi and Ukai need to know. This can affect the whole team." He whispered their names so as to not grab their attention. "I know you're the only person he listens to, so could you please talk to him for me? If he's still like this before the game, I'll have to tell the captain."

"Yes, sir!" Yamaguchi squeaked, before running back onto the court.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣ɞ‿︵‿︵

"I know he stayed up late last night..."

The sentence repeated itself in Yamaguchi's head. It's true that he had a test that day, but he knew for a fact that his boyfriend went to bed earlier than usual. He's been sleeping a lot lately.

He fell asleep on the phone with me last night. Why would he lie?

Yamaguchi continued to practice serving to Tsukishima.

Something definitely has been different about him since we started high school, but that's only natural, right? Is he hiding something?

After practice was over, Yamaguchi gave Tsukishima his water bottle. "Can I come over today?"

"You're so annoying."

"Sorry Tsukki!" Yamaguchi giggled as he was pulled in for a hug. Tsukki smelled different this time--usually he smelled good, but something seemed... off. Toxic, almost.

The only other time I remember him smelling this bad was a couple years ago when--oh, no...

The realization settled in.

Has he been eating enough?