Chapter 7

'it was not your fault but mine'

▹▹▹

The air had soon turned bitter as December washed around, and Cassandra and Novas walk to and from school were filled with thick coats and fluffy hats. The last few months had being painstakingly quiet for Cassandra, and her lack of understanding of the Wizarding world. On several occasions she wished she knew a way to stay in touch with Harry; she just wanted a way to remind herself that the whole experience hadn't just been some kind of lucid dream. She wanted reassurance, she wanted to know more.

"I wish we lived in a warmer country," Nova whined, pulling the collar of her fluffy coat higher up to cover her small chin.

"People that live in warm countries say the opposite," Cassandra said calmly, the bitter winds feeling rather refreshing on her flustered face. Nova only rolled her eyes, hurrying up the driveway and towards the front door.

She quickly, with trembling hands, put her keys in the door, letting out an annoyed groan as they got stuck halfway, "She's left her keys in the door again," The younger girl whined, before banging her fist on the wooden door, "Eva open the door - it's freezing!"

The two jumped back as the girl hastily yanked open the door, it swinging back and most likely leaving a dint on the wall behind it, "Get in here!" She shrieked quietly. The two younger sisters shared confused glances before following her inside.

"What's the matter?" Cassandra asked cautiously.

"Someones been outside since I got home from college," Eva said anxiously, it only then did the two girls noticed she held a kitchen knife firmly between her fingers.

"Why are you holding a knife?" Nova asked, frightfully shuffling away from her oldest sister.

"I have a feeling they're going to attack," Eva said, hurrying over to the windows and peaking out through the closed blinds.

"Attack?" Cassandra almost laughed, although she swallowed a lump in her throat as she stood beside her sister, "Where are these people; what do they look like?"

"They're stood beside the tree on the other side of the road," Eva said, her hands trembling against the blind she was holding down, "Wearing black long - coats?" She said questioningly.

Cassandra raised almost an amused eyebrow before she pushed the blind down like Eva had, and looked out into the gloomy street. When her doey eyes landed on two dark figures stood beside the tree opposite their house, she felt her heart stop in her chest.

She recognised what they looked like, no wonder Eva hadn't being able to describe what they were wearing; it wasn't something people from this world wear - they were apart of the Magical World.

But what were they doing here? Surely they understood none of them was magical, and they couldn't help them. They were something strange about these two men from the other magical people she had acquaintanced, they looked dark - evil. They kept their soulless eyes gazing at the house, Cassandra shuddered in her spot.

She had a feeling these people weren't like the magical people she had met only months before. Simply the aura admitted in the air around them - how the nest of birds in the tree above had stopped chirping, and the sky seemed to turn darker like the joy had been sucked out of the air - these people seemed dark, evil.

"What time did you get home?" Cassandra asked her sister nervously, pulling away from the blinds and dragging Eva with her.

"I don't know - hours ago!" She said, her body trembling in fear.