Chapter 1:The Fine Art of Bullshit

She let out a grunt as she got slammed into the ground for the second time in a row, knocking the wind out of her. A feeling she's never fully gotten used to since it happens so little.

"Come on, really? You're not focusing!" Her brother yells at her from where he stands.

"You could have blocked that in your sleep." He continues goading her. Sighing, she stands up and brushes the dirt off of her palms. Cracking her neck and rolling her shoulders, she takes a deep breath and tries to focus.

Every time she tries all she can think of is the unopened letter sitting in their kitchen. The one made from heavy parchment with the red wax seal of the royal family.

"What if they know?" She asks again for what seemed like the thousandth time since they started practicing.

"Then you better go down with a fight." He responds with a laugh.

"Mace! This isn't funny. Do you know what they would..."

"How could they have found out? You haven't done anything wrong. Now stop making excuses and bow." She huffs at how casually he can brush this off but bows anyways. The sounds of them counting seem to be far away and her body picks up the familiar hum of energy, like a snake getting ready to attack.

This time she manages to block everything he throws at her. Colorful and powerful swirls of magic aimed just so perfectly. "Fight back!" Mace yells. "Stop blocking and fight!" His words distract her for a split second and she's fumbling over her feet and when she goes to block the next spell, her balance is off. She stumbles and falls over her own body, something she hasn't done in years.

"Stop. Enough of this. Just let me read the letter." She calls, rolling out of the embarrassing position of falling straight on her face.

"Oh how the mighty fall." Mace laughs. His laugh is cut off when he gets blasted off of his feet and lands on his back.

"Cheater!" He calls after his sister as she runs into the house.

The house isn't anything special. Smaller than most for this area actually, but it's home. A small part of her thinks her father kept it small to stop people from wanting to visit. Or come to fight. No one would think the best duelers in the entire kingdom would live in a house like this and that keeps them safe. More than anything it keeps Skylar safe. If someone found out that there weren't three children in this house, if someone pieced together all of it, she would be doomed. Or not be able to fight, snap her wand and tell her she could never duel again and at that point they might as well just kill her.

She closed the screen door behind her, letting it slam harder than she normally would. Every thought on the tiny innocent letter that could ruin her life. Vaguely, she processes that Mace is now in the kitchen with her.

With shaking fingers she rips open the seal and pulls out the letter.

"We hope this letter finds you well.

On Behalf of His Royal Majesty, William Weasley,

The presence of both Mason and Skylar Green are being requested to partake in the Tri Wizard Tournament.

A carriage arrives to pick you up on the first of May.

Best regards,

Alastor Moody, Assistant to the Royal family."

"May first. That's a week away." Mace says once he finishes scanning the letter over his sister's shoulder.

"I can't go!" She screams. Voice wavering slightly.