2 -- For The Better

w: case involving suicide

JJ walked into the round table room, sliding a newspaper onto the table and folding her arms across her chest

JJ walked into the round table room, sliding a newspaper onto the table and folding her arms across her chest. "Three months ago a fire in the Shadyside Rec Center killed 14 children."

"I remember that," Morgan said, you taking a seat in one of the chairs.

"What does that have to do with us?" Rossi asked.

JJ picked up her notepad and flipped a few pages. "Well, over the past three months there's been five suicides. All of them lost a child in the fire. The last one was Paul Baleman. He was found electrocuted in his bathtub yesterday. Hotch received a request for our help, but he's taking a personal day. I'm making sure we want to take this case."

Reid took the notepad from her and studied the information, Morgan stepping forward. "Why do they need our help? They're suicides."

"All of the suicides were within two weeks of each other. It could be some kind of pattern." Reid stated.

You furrowed your brow, rubbing your knuckles along your jawline. "Are you thinking these are murders?"

"Detective Ronnie Baleman, Pittsburgh. P.D. thinks that something's going on," JJ said, adding to your question.

Emily reached over you, grabbing the newspaper, her breasts grazing your shoulder. You looked at her and quickly back to the team, trying not to get distracted.

"Well, of course, he does," Derek says matter-of-factly.

"Why do you say that?" Emily asks, looking up from the article.

Rossi places his hands on his hips, looking at JJ. "He's related to that man, right?"

"His brother."

"A cop who doesn't believe his brother committed suicide," Morgan spoke, the team giving each other looks of uncertainty. "Come on, next case."

"Now, wait a second." Emily chimed. "Five suicides in the same neighborhood within months? That's a serious spike."

"Suicides don't usually spike after a tragedy," Rossi added, walking over to the window that looks out to the bullpen.

"Quite the opposite, actually. Following World War I and II, right after Kennedy was shot, and following 9/11, suicides plummeted." Reid explained. "Within a society, external threats usually create group integrations."

"People come together," JJ mutters.

You leaned back in your chair, scowling at Derek and furrowing your brows. "Why are you so quick to skip over this? Just because the family is in a position where they can ask for our help, doesn't mean we dismiss it."

Morgan gave you a look, definitely judging you. You may be the new kid on the playground, but you're not afraid to say your mind.

"So, if there's reason for doubt, which there obviously is, don't those families left behind have a right to know?" Emily questions.