37. New York

Two Years Later: New York

"Extra hot macchiato."

"Thank you," I grabbed it from Dana's hand. "Did you reschedule the meeting with—,"

"Dior, yes. For 10 am instead of 9 am."

"Great!" I moved past her back to my office.

Dana was our newest intern, and she reminded me a lot of myself. She was bright eyed, and unlike me, she actually had an interest in what I was doing. She dreamed of being in my shoes one day—it's what she said in her cover letter.

I noticed the assistants in the front giggling about something as I walked past.

"Something wrong?" I asked, confused.

"Nope!" one of them replied, going back to work.

I got calls this morning from my dad and Aaliyah telling me Happy Birthday, something that I had completely forgotten about. I was 27 now, and it didn't feel much different.

The main difference was that I was making a shit ton more than I ever had. I moved up from being planning coordinator to the marketing executive; which basically meant I oversaw all the marketing campaigns and they had to get approved by me before being shown to the client.

There was a knock on my door, Crystal, the assistant editor came in.

"Hey," she smirked, walking in.

"What's up with you?" I laughed.

"Remember that cute guy from that magazine? He's been trying to reach you all day."

"I know. I'm just ignoring his calls." I replied, taking a sip of my coffee as I wrote another email.

She sighed.

"You're 27 and single! Seriously?"

"I'm not looking for anything right now."

"You've said the same thing since you first came here."

"Don't you have a spread to go write or something?" I lifted a brow.

"Funny. We still on for drinks tonight right?"

I shrugged, sighing.

"Not even on your birthday?"

"You know I hate birthdays. You better not do anything this year I told y'all I don't do surprises."

Crystal rolled her eyes, leaving.

...

I hung up the phone as I came up the elevator. I was coming back from lunch with a client.

I could feel it coming.

As soon as I opened the glass doors, the loudest

"Happy Birthday!"

Was yelled.

I looked  over at Crystal with a pissed face.