1x01: A Dragon's Call

Merlin Ambrosius walked through the countryside toward Camelot, with his backpack on and his older adopted sister, Isla, next to him, huffing and out of breath

Merlin Ambrosius walked through the countryside toward Camelot, with his backpack on and his older adopted sister, Isla, next to him, huffing and out of breath. After the news for both Isla and Merlin, the two decided that it would be best if they continued to Camelot as they had planned. 

Right before their eyes was the city of Camelot. The castle turrets all held large flags with the crest of the Pendragon family clearly on them; the red background with the gold dragon in the centre of it.

They paused as they stood in the town centre, staring at the large palace before them. They shared a look between themselves before walking through the large gates, which were opened and ignored the guards keep a close eye on the newcomers.

Entering the gates, Isla raised her head to see the portcullis and examined every part of the city, taking in the vast-ness and the beauty of the town. The market day was stunning to see for Isla. The stalls were out with many items on display for the people of Camelot to by; from jewellery to freshly made bread.

Walking into the courtyard, they both frowned upon seeing a large crowd. The brother and sister duo began to hear number of drums play a dreary tune, which also caught their attention and caused them to walk over in the direction of the sound. As they got closer, they saw what everyone was looking at. Before them and a young man on a on a wooden stage, about to be beheaded in front of the people of Camelot with the King, Uther Pendragon, on a balcony watching.

The attention of the crowd was brought back to Uther as he addressed the crowd in the Square. Isla grabbed her brother's arm for comfort. Even though she was the oldest out of the two, she always grabbed onto her brother for comfort.

"What's going on?" Isla asked her brother but before he could respond, the King began to speak.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all." Uther began. "This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are band on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass."

Uther's dark eyes watch the growing crowd intently, searching for anybody who might interrupt the punishment. He then raised his hand and the executioner raised the axe in which would decapitate the young man, Thomas James Collins. Isla turned to face her brother and placed her head in his shoulder unable to watch the man. Uther then dropped his hand and the man was beheaded. Gasps could be heard from around the stage in the Square, making it know to Isla that he was killed.

"It's over." Merlin whispered to his older sister. "It's okay."

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So, I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." Uther announced before turning to walk away.