Chapter Twenty One

When I got into Rehan's car, I could feel someone's glare boring holes through my back. I exactly knew who the person was so I just ignored it. I hoped that Varun wouldn't do something stupid. Minutes passed as everyone settled into their car whereas Danish and Rehan were still on the porch discussing something when suddenly Varun started blowing out the horn with frustration. Rehan glared at Varun while Danish shrugged and got into the passenger seat. Rehan too got into our car flashing me his signature smirk. I heard Varun's Range Rover speed out aggressively. I mentally pitied Danish as he was supposed to deal with a grumpy Varun tonight.

As Rehan started pulling out of the front yard I thought about the whole Varun-Rehan situation here. I was hundred percent sure that they had had a massive fight in the past but for the love of God didn't they live in the same house? I mean how long could you be rivals with someone you live with? Won't be there a time when they would make up and live like a family? They both put each and everyone they love in a difficult place. The whole gang and family loved both of them and just because of their massive fight people would have to choose. Varun had been ignoring everyone since what not time so at that time Varun wasn't even an option because he was aloof. But things were going to be different from now on, Varun was going to try and I knew the gang would show their full support. On the other hand Rehan would get mad at small things, just because he wouldn't be able to tolerate Varun. This was a mess, a huge mess.

"I was unaware of the fact that you sleep with your eyes open?", Rehan blurted.

"What?", I ask out of confusion.

"Your face looked like you were having a scary nightmare. What's troubling you Ananya?",he asked with concern.

"Your equation with Varun",I said the truth while he froze, not expecting it.

"What is troubling about that?", his grip on the steering wheel tightened, I could see the veins pulsing. He was trying his best to keep his anger at bay.

"I don't know anything about the history you share with Varun and I understand that you want to keep it discrete.From my observation and acquaintance with you all I have figured out that Varun had kept himself closed off since a long time, didn't he?",I knew that I was testing his patience but I had to get this straight.

"Yes, he has been an asshole since two years", Rehan spat while I flinched.

"But now somehow he seems to be trying to open up and the gang is happy about it", I said softly."Rehan please don't make them choose sides". Inwardly I pleaded that don't make me choose sides.

There was silence for a while and then I gave up and turned to look out of the window to see world which was engulfed in the darkness. I couldn't see the stars but I knew that they were there, watching over me.

"Okay", it came out as a soft whisper.

"Huh?"

"Okay, I won't put the gang in a situation where they would have to choose sides", he said with sincerity.

"Thank you Rehan",I genuinely smiled at him.

"I would do that for you",he said inaudibly but the moment I caught it, it scarred the daylights out of me. I didn't know why but the emotion in it was heavier than necessary. I was unknown to that and it scared me.

"I know", I reacted plainly because I didn't want to show him that simple things like that freaked me out. I was already nervous about going to this whole party fiasco while Rehan was unintentionally adding fuel to the fire. Well I couldn't blame him here, could I?

As we neared the party location, I had goosebumps all over body and I was freaking out in the passenger seat. As soon as we parked our car and the moment I saw everyone get out of Varun's car I froze. I couldn't move, I could try to let my embarrassment over my cowardice overrule my fear of socializing however I couldn't see that happening. I wasn't able to move an inch and my body went into a total shut down mode. I was glued to my seat with my knees knocking together and I was shaking with sheer terror.