Learning the truth

Korra was full of nervous energy, Asami would be back today and she was excited to share her news. She had reached maturity, she was an Alpha.

She hadn't told anyone yet, the staff at the Sato mansion kept their distance from her as much as possible. Excited as Korra was, she had no intention of rushing out to regale the elderly grounds-keeper or reserved butler with her news of sexual maturity and Alpha status. Even just thinking about it sent a shiver down her spine, the awkwardness would make her wish for the ground to swallow her whole. Although, given her earth bending skills, that was sort of possible.

With a sigh, she returned to pacing around her room, bouncing a little fire ball back and forth between her hands and trying to distract herself. She had lived at the Sato mansion for over eleven years now, her own tribe had been glad to see the back of her.

"It's OK Korra, go ahead and show him what you can do." Korra peered up at the tribe elder for a moment, bending was what got her exiled out to this little shack in the first place, why was it suddenly OK? Maybe the stranger was here to help, maybe he would reassure the tribe that she was safe.

Taking a deep breath, Korra concentrated on the fire pit. The embers were starting to burn out but there was still a little life left in it. With a flick of her hand she made it roar back into life.

Concentrating carefully, she began to form images in the fire, intricate patterns, symbols and an extravagant finisher of several orbs of fire coming together and hovering above the fire pit before dissipating.

The stranger had a look of fear on his face, but after a moment he nodded his approval. After a few more displays he had remained suitably impressed. He asked questions directly to the tribe elder and generally ignored her other than to observe her skills.

"She's old enough to be away from her parents?" The stranger, apparently, was not too familiar with children. He appeared to be trying to gauge how much additional stress someone of her age would give him on top of the whole bending thing. At the age of seven, Korra wasn't exactly self sufficient, but was old enough to follow orders and would normally have been helping the tribe by this point.

"Hmm? Oh, yes! She's been housed out here for several months now, she will cope just fine and be little trouble to you," The elder replied.

Exiled to a shack. Little trouble? Even Korra herself was suspicious.

The stranger had stared at her again for some time then, eventually, nodded and turned towards the door. Hoping the man hadn't been put off, the tribe elder quickly gave Korra her daily food ration and followed him out of the shack. Korra had been left alone in the shack again as the two men headed back towards the compound.

The tribe elder returned with the stranger early the following morning, the two of them shook hands and the stranger approached her. After giving her a long look he pointed to his wagon, "You're coming with me now, bring anything you need. You won't be coming back."

Korra approached the window, her view was full of lush grass, trees and more plants than she could name. It was completely different from the ice and snow her tribe survived in. She could remember the harsh snowstorms, the fire pits they would huddle around for warmth and the community spirit that bound them together.

She had once been sure she was happy there, even when her bending started causing problems her parents still adored her. That faded over time, the scorn and constant harassment by the rest of the tribe wore them down. She never saw her parents once she was sent to the shack, not even the day she left with the travelling trader. She never knew if it was because nobody told them she was being sent away or because they were just relieved it was over.