Chapter 3

We made plans to meet at a nice restaurant downtown. At 7. Okay. That's fine. I can do that. if I take the Metro it's about 20 minutes. So, I should leave at 6:30 to make sure I'm not late. Or should I leave at 6:15 out of an abundance of caution? But I don't want to be too early. 6:30 it is.

It's 4:30 and I haven't showered. Shit. I jump in the shower and quickly wash my hair and shave my legs. What am I going to wear?? I find a red silk dress in my closet. Just past knee length, loose but tight, with a classy straight neckline and skinny straps.

5:30. Makeup. I go for a bold smoky eye and wing out my eyeliner. Lastly, false lashes and subtle lipstick.

6:15. Hair. I blow dry it and curl it loosely, tying half of it up but leaving a few strands to frame my face. I put on black strappy heels and grab a black crossbody bag on my way out.

6:50. I beat spencer to the restaurant. I tell the hostess that I'm waiting for someone and she seats me alone at a table for two. About five minutes later, I see him walk in. Holy moly. He's wearing a deep plum colored dress shirt with a black bowtie, a black suit jacket, and black dress pants. He looks.... amazing. My mind totally blanks for a second, but I collect my thoughts and stand up to greet him. He hugs me. When he pulls away, his hands remain at my waist and he smiles.

"You look fantastic."

"So do you."

-

"So," Spencer says as we're finishing our meal, "did you drive here?"

I smile. "If you're asking if you can drive me home, I took the metro."

The waiter approaches our table and sets the check in between us. Spencer reaches for it, and I consider offering to pay, but decide to let him. Hey, free food and a cute date? Who could resist? He places his card in the little booklet and sets it back down.

"What I'm hearing is you need a ride home," he says. I laugh.

"Yes, Spencer, you can drive me home."

"What do you say we get dessert first? There's an ice cream place down the block."

"That sounds great."

-

After ice cream, Spencer drives me home and walks me all the way to my apartment door.

"I had an amazing time tonight," he says.

I blush. "So did I."

Before I know it, his hands are on my waist and mine are around his neck, and I'm on my tiptoes giving Spencer Reid a kiss. I can feel his smile against my lips. I finally pull away and smile up at him.

"Goodnight, Spencer."

"Goodnight, Mackenzie."

I look down and then back up at him. "Call me Kenzie."