Chapter 1- Entrance

It has been a hard few weeks with what was going on between the Hub and the Mojave so I decided I needed to take a break, kicking off the boots in the saloon wasn't a bad idea. I walked in and sat at the bar. I noticed a really pretty cowgirl sitting on the opposite side of me with a half empty bottle of whiskey. She had short brown hair, cowboy hat with a broc flower on the side, and a flannel shirt covered by a ratty denim jacket. Someone could tell she has one hell of a mean streak from a mile away. I looked to my right and there was a soldier, Corporal to be exact. He looked at me up and down and gave me a weird look. The bartender asked me what I was having.

"Vodka."

"Where are ya' heading" the soldier asked me with a suspicious tone. I looked at him and tried my best to retain my soldier form and look. 

"Wherever the C.O. tells me to go. It's not like I have any choice in the matter." He grinned and nodded to me.

"Don't you just hate that, pal? We are just ordered around like we are some kind of dogs. President Kimball thinks that he can sit in that cozy office with General Oliver, point his finger at Caesar and say shoot. It's not like we are going to win this war anyway." I looked at him with a kind of stink eye look. The bartender brought me a shot glass of Vodka.

"Leave the bottle." I gave her $20 NCR. "If we lose this war to the petty Roman warriors then it is all your kind of people's fault. You are the reason that we lose moral in this place. Yes, the Mojave is hot as a radscorpion's ass, but we need to hold this area so Caesar doesn't enslave these people."

"Why should we even care about these people?" he asked me. "What do they have that we need. They mean nothing to the greater good of California. Our job is to protect California and Shady Sands, nothing else."

"Do you even know what you're supposed to be doing? You pretend like you have a better way to win this war. What could even come close to Kimball's plan? Aren't we supposed to be gaining as much land as possible to expand our borders?"

"Look , pal" he angrily uttered while starting to stand up. "If you want Kimball or Oliver to keep giving these damn orders, we will be dead by 84'. He is slowly killing us all." People were starting to look at us and I didn't want that. I didn't acknowledge him anymore and I took my shot of Vodka, he smacked the shot glass away from my face. "Look at me when I talk to you, asshole." 

"You don't wanna do this" I told him with a stern look. He grabbed my arm on the bar and I sucker punched him with my left hand. He went face down on the floor, grabbing at his face. The bartender pulled out her 9mm and kept it at the ready. "You don't need to do that ma'am, but can I have another bottle for the road?" She grabbed it from the shelf being her and handed it to me, so I gave her another $20 NCR and walked out the door. Most of these grunts are complete idiots and don't know when to stop in an argument. I walked out of the Saloon and had a Ranger waiting for me.

"Well, looks like we got a new visitor in the ol' brahmin pen. You got papers?" I pulled out my forged papers and handed them to him. He looked at me and back at the papers a few times. "You don't look like a guy named Reggie, what's your story?" I was dumbstruck, I didn't know what to say.

"Well, I enlisted back in 78' and had been with the same squad since I came to the Mojave. Spent some time at McCarren and the Embassy then got shipped home for a while, and now I'm back here." He nodded so I thought that he bought it.

"So where are you supposed to be heading Private..."

"Comstead" I responded quickly. "Reggie Comstead."

"Right" he responded back to me. "These papers don't have your last name Private. Before you leave you should get these fixed with Major Knight in the H.Q. Anyway, where are you heading?"