13

BEFORE READING, CHECK OUT THE NEW TRAILER! IT FITS MUCH BETTER THAN THE LAST AND IT'LL ALL MAKE SENSE AT THE END OF THE BOOK:)

Ariella

"i just found out that anyone can make a move at anytime they want, these men are fucking nuts!" remi comes rushing into our 'teams' shared cabin.

everyone was focused on their own things, not speaking to one another, not wanting to speak up. once remi came barging into the room, everyone's heads snapped up in curiosity.

"make moves, as in kill each other?" a petite blonde asked, her voice was filled with pure terror.

"yes, dumbass! as in kill each other, as in we all can get kill in our sleep or in the shower—"

"i thought they said there were days dedicated to that?" another spoke, i didn't bother to look. i kept my head down in my palms as i listened to the conversation.

"they did but they never specified that people couldn't kill on other days. therefor it's able to happen and those other teams are fucking psycho," remi plops down onto her bed, sighing loudly.

"no! w-we can't let this happen! there's something we can do to stop this, to escape!"

"oh relax gwen, you heard them earlier. nothing we can do, we're all just going to fucking kill each other off. like the hunger games."

the petite blonde, gwen, began breathing heavy as she folded her hands together and began whispering.

remi and the other girls looked at her, "fuck are you doing gwen?" remi asks but gwen ended up completely ignoring any comments that was being made.

"you're fucking weird, gwen! nows not the time for—"

"she's praying, leave her be," i mumble, picking at the skin around my nails.

"what'd you just say?" remi questions, now sending me the same judgmental look.

"i said she's praying. leave her be, wait for her to finish."

she scoffs before turning her attention back to gwen who was done and back to panicking, not as bad as before.

"we have to do something, become stronger and protect eachother."

my vision became foggy and my breath hitched in my throat, i needed to get out of here, need some fresh air.

||

the crisp, brown and orange leaves swayed in the wind, some falling off their branch and onto the cold ground.

with my knees tucked to my chest and my arms wrapping around myself securely, i listened to the sounds of the weak trees creek from the wind hushing against them.

my hot breath pushed its way past my knitted cardigan, running my cold and runny nose against the fuzzy fabric.

a door squeaks open in the distance, from one of the other cabins.

i kept my gaze forward but was preparing myself as much as possible, knowing anyone could come at me with their bare hands.

the footsteps of the person grew closer, walking at a slow and steady pace.

they began walking past me, making my heart drop at the familiar man. he didn't take a second to look at me, probably sick at himself for doing this to so many young people.

"are you happy with what you've done?" my words came off more as a statement than a question but i wanted him to respond, wanted his reaction.

he chuckles, shaking his head as he walks a few more steps before turning to me.