Chapter 42

Well, happy new year everyone and let me say, goodbye and good riddance to 2020. The year that will not be missed.

"Tell me again why I need to bother meeting with an American Albino?" Gravedigger asked Colonel Yuri Mosin as they walked to the designated meeting place.

"The albino was very specific that he'd only speak with the man in charge of the metahuman operation, how he even knows about that is beyond me, but that is technically you." Mosin said.

"And what is so important that it actually requires a meet and greet?" Gravedigger asked.

"This albino has someone that I believe is of great interest to you with him." Mosin said.

"Really, and who might that be?" Gravedigger asked.

"Dr. Helga Jace." Mosin said.

"Then this may actually be worth my time." Gravedigger said as they entered the room.

"I was hoping you'd see it that way." Tobias said.

"Tobias Whale. You have quite a reputation, even here. Now, where is Dr. Jace?" Gravedigger asked.

"Hidden away until we conclude our business, since you didn't really think I'd give her to you for nothing did you?" Tobias asked.

"Name your price." Gravedigger said.

"10,000,00 dollars." Tobias said.

"Done." Gravedigger said.

"But, that's not my only condition and Jace is not the only thing I came to offer." Tobias said.

"Go on." Gravedigger said.

"I know that you want to mount an attack on Freeland to take the metas. I can offer assistance in that, since I have something that no one in Markovia does. Inside knowledge of Freeland." Tobias said.

"That could prove useful first citizen Gravedigger. Insider knowledge could help us accelerate the timetable of our invasion." Mosin said.

"I agree. But what is it that you want in return, since I'm assuming it's not money." Gravedigger said.

"I want you to guarantee that you'll leave enough of Freeland intact for me to rule." Tobias said.

"I think we can work something out." Gravedigger agreed.

"Perfect, let's get talking." Tobias said and Gravedigger nodded in agreement.

"But first, I'm going to need you to hand over Dr. Jace as a sign of good faith." Gravedigger said as Tobias pulled a piece of paper and handed it to him.

"You'll find her at this address. Near mint condition. She tried to escape." Tobias said.

"As long as her brain still works, we'll be fine." Gravedigger said and Tobias nodded.

"One more thing. I think I know of another asset who might be of use to you in your assault." Tobias said.

"Really, who?" Gravedigger asked.

"Former ASA Commander Carson Williams. He's a meta with the power to replicate other metas powers and he and his unit are some of the only ASA personnel that aren't under suspicion, since they went into hiding shortly before the ASA's fall. I don't know where he is, but if you can find him, I'm sure you can convince him to be very helpful to your cause. One way or another." Tobias said and Gravedigger grinned.

"Yes, I think that will come in very handy and I think I might add another million to your fee for that bit of intel, since a former ASA commando will be very useful to Markovia." Gravedigger said, thinking that this would be the beginning of a wonderful alliance.

"You're late." Lady Eve said as Black Lightning and Gambi approached her and Lala.

"Apologies, but we needed to make sure that this wasn't another trap first." Gambi said.

"Fair enough." Lady Eve admitted.

"So, I have your word that you're not going to barbecue me?" Lala asked Black Lightning.

"As long as you behave yourself when we're in the same room. Lala, in exchange for your help in defeating Tobias Whale, we're willing to allow you to assume control of the 100 and so long as you agree to certain conditions, we'll act as if your actions aren't worth our time. At least for a few months." Black Lightning said.

"And what conditions would there be?" Lala asked.

"That racket you were pulling at the seahorse motel, that's over. No more abducting innocent girls and prostituting them. That's non negotiable." Black Lightning said.

"Done." Lala agreed.

"Next condition, while you can continue your drug sales, no more greenlight." Gambi said.

"That's not a problem, since when you took down the ASA, greenlight went extinct. Besides, last thing I need is more people like you interfering with my business." Lala said and both Black Lightning and Gambi looked satisfied by that.

"Anything else?" Lala asked.

"Nothing else that we know you'll agree too. It may not be perfect, but for the time being, we're willing to compromise with you to stop a greater evil." Black Lightning said.

"Tobias Whale." Lala said and Black Lightning nodded.

"Everyone in this room has their own reasons for wanting to take him down. Some want revenge, some want justice, but one thing we do all agree on is that whatever he's planning now, it will lead to the downfall of Freeland unless we work together to stop him." Gambi said.

"Which is why I brought something that should help with that." Lady Eve said as she handed Gambi a flash drive.

"What is this?" Gambi asked.

"Everything you need to know about Tobias's operation. As I'm sure you're aware, his claws are dug in deep to every part of Freeland's government, including police. But with that little gem, it should be enough to bring in the Feds, take down his entire operation and also put a warrant out for him." Lady Eve said.

"I'm assuming it's been modified to keep both you and Lala off the list of known associates?" Black Lightning asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, we all have to look out for ourselves first. It also leaves enough of Tobias's old turf untouched for us to take over, as we agreed." Lady Eve said.

"As long as you uphold your end of our bargain, we'll keep ours." Black Lightning said.

"What about the Markovians. Even all of us working together won't be a match for an entire military." Lala asked.

"We're already working on a plan for that. You'll be looped in if you need to be." Black Lightning said.

"Agreed." Lady Eve said.

"Pleasure doing business with you both. We'll be in touch." Gambi said as he and Black Lightning left.

"So, you really think they'll keep their word?" Lala asked.

"I don't know. But what I do know is that they're right about Tobias being a bigger problem. Once the white whale is out of the picture, then we'll deal with the metas." Lady Eve said and Lala nodded.