Chapter 2: Locked In

Shaymi's mind is flooding in thoughts. It is the night of the day the news came. Her mom, Mikaylie, got back home two hours ago, carrying five boxes filled with face masks and food.

Will this virus really stay for that long? No, for sure I'm gonna have fun this week. It's only a week though and I should make the most out of it.
Shaymi thought.

• • •

Shaymi arrived at her friend's house, Franchesca Miller, also known as Frances, together with Mila Smith and Debby Jones, her other close friends.

It was a sleepover night. They readied snacks and gossip. Luckily, Frances's parents weren't there. They were even ready to pull up an all-nighter. It was like there wasn't a virus at all.

When they were playing Monopoly,

"Hey Mila!", Shouted Frances with a laugh. "Don't cheat, okay? HA HA HA, It seems like you're stealing money from the bank since you volunteered to become the banker of this game, huh?" She continued with a grin.

"O my goodness, no I wouldn't do that! HA HA HA...", Laughed Mila.

At the end, Debby won effortlessly. Debby is really good at property stuff, since she wants to become a lawyer.

They also played a game of Chess, Tic Tac Toe, and Jumanji. Oh it was such a fun night for all of them.

• • •

Knock Knock Knock.

"Sweetie, wake up!", Exclaimed Shaymi's mom. "Get down when you're ready."

Shaymi barely opened her dry eyes, waking up from her positively-filled dream. She heard her stomach growl.

I better get up soon. She thought. Once again, her mind swarmed with thoughts.

Finally, a break from school., Shaymi said in her mind.
I'm going to do my homework next Friday since we have a 1-week break., She continued.

Shaymi then got up, fixed her bed, and changed her clothes. She went downstairs and ate some eggs and bacon made by her mom.

"Good morning, dad!", Greeted Shaymi, giving her dad a hug.

"Ah. Good morning sweetie!" Said her dad. "How was your sleep? Have a long break, huh?" He continued as Shaymi cleaned her dishes.

"Yes, dad! Oh I slept well.", She replied.

They went and sat down in the living room and played a game of Snakes and Ladders.

"Aha! I'm going to win. Pretty sure.", Richard, Shaymi's dad, said confidently as his piece climbed to the ninety-sixth space.

"There's still hope for me, dad.", Said Shaymi, as she rolled the dice and took three moves upward.

When it was Richard's turn, he rolled the dice to the unlucky number.

"HA!", Shaymi exclaimed. "You're gonna go back to space number three. HA HA HA! I'm going to win.", Her dad shook his head and grinned.

Well, that was a great game for Shaymi. Both of them sat comfortably in their L-shaped couch, and joined in by Shaymi's mom after a while.

"I saw that was a good game for you Shaymi, huh?", Mikaylie said, smirking.

Shaymi laughed out loud.

This is truly the advantage of staying at home. Spending time with family., She thought.

"Okay, okay, let's get over with it, I give it to you Shaymi." Said Richard with a laugh. "Turn on the television and let's watch some news, Hun.", He told Mikaylie.

Mikaylie turned on the television and switched the channel.

"... and one case reported in Black-Bear Community. The total cases in Horizon Town is now ten. We will be seeing if classes and other jobs will be suspended for a longer time. Again, always wear a mask and keep safe."

"Golly!", Excalaimed Mikaylie. "In our community? I wonder who.", She continued.

• • •

It's been a week. Classes were suspended, businesses and other jobs seemed to be coming low. Virus cases being reported higher and higher from time to time.

"Yes. Another week to relax.", Said Shaymi as she woke up in Monday. "Surely next week we'd be back to school. Ugh. No way.", Continued she.

*Thanks for reading this chapter. Chapter 3: Parallel Visit, is out now!"