So Close (rewritten)

Another night, another game. This is the last day on your visa, and you don't want to die through a laser without even trying to clear a game. Although you don't like the thought of seeing people die again – and maybe even die yourself.

You take the note that will assign you to a game and a certain car to reach it, and you barely notice the people coming along with you. Most of them are laughing and talking way too loud, mostly to outplay their own fears. With no doubt are you scared too, and you want to get this done as soon as possible so you can return to your weird life at the Beach. To what is mostly pretending to live, while you're waiting to be killed sooner or later.

Upon your arrival at the car it is already overfilled with people, but they somehow manage to make room for you. You observe the people around you after taking a seat in the back of the car. The guy next to you is carrying a bottle of beer and is heavily flirting with a short-haired girl next to him, and the stench of alcohol and sweat is overwhelming.

One more person enters, exhaling an annoyed sigh as they squeeze inside next to you in order to properly close the door. Only then you realize who exactly is sitting next to you, and you swallow while trying not to gasp.

Chishiya gives you a short wave as you stare at him, the movement looking a bit awkward considering the low space inside the car. You smile back and he lifts his eyebrows just the tiniest bit, the way he always seems to do. This is exactly what makes you feel so small and miniscule next to him, together with those cold and clever eyes. And yet he acknowledged your presence, has even waved to you.

The car starts to move, and Chishiya turns his head towards the window. The white and grey hood covers his face so you can't see his eyes anymore, but as you're forced to be so close to him (not that you'd mind the slightest), you can hear the beat of the music coming out of his earphones.

While the obviously drunk guy on your other side won't stop moving and brushing you with his sweaty arms, Chishiya just sits there almost motionless, his breath steady and calm. He keeps his hands inside the hoodie pockets, with only his left leg slightly moving in the rhythm of the music that only he is able to hear.

The driver doesn't even try to drive carefully, and the rough streets don't really make it better, causing the side of your head to bump into Chishiya's shoulder more than once. He doesn't seem to care, as well as he doesn't care about the stupid behavior of the others.

You wish to have some music in your ears too so you could ignore those idiots around you, but at least he is there. It has been a while since you two have been in a game together, and you hope the game won't be too cruel to solve.

Since this really is no good place to start a conversation, another – maybe utterly foolish – idea comes to your mind. You'll soon develop a headache if you continue to bump into shoulders and elbows all the time, and Chishiya most likely feels annoyed by it too, so you simply rest your head on his shoulder. At least you won't bump into him like this anymore, right?

Chishiya turns his head away from the window. You look up and see his eyes, now condescending in the truest sense of word. You'll immediately turn back if he tells you to move aside or shifts his shoulder, but he doesn't sign you to stop.

To your surprise, he does nothing. He examines you for a second longer, not a single spark of emotion visible to you, then turns around to face the window once more.

You can't believe it. This is something you've only experienced in your dreams before, dreams that always proved to be nothing but stupid and impossible hopes. Of course, this means nothing. Chishiya doesn't encourage you to do this, nor does he approach you in any way. He just lets you do whatever it is that you're doing, and it makes you unbelievably happy.

With your face resting on the fabric of his hoodie, you can ignore the turmoil around you. You inhale a scent that is so much more pleasing than alcohol and sweat. There's the fragrance of his hair, something that seems to be a slight touch of strawberry, and the hoodie that smells after the Beach's washing powder.

A tiny strand of blonde hair is tingling the tip of your nose, but you don't move. A foolish part inside of you is afraid that he'd shift his position then, making it impossible for you to remain this close.

Through the hood, you can still hear the beat of a song, but you can't tell which one it is exactly. Could be something like rap of rock, something with a fast and powerful beat, but that's all you know.

You close your eyes and just enjoy this proximity to the person you have developed such strong feelings for. This is more you have hoped for, and you definitely wouldn't mind if it happened more often.

While you let your thoughts wander around some daydreams, you almost automatically snuggle deeper into the crook of his neck. You don't even realize until his whole body tenses, and he glares at you from the corner of his eye. As your face turns red once more, you murmur an apology, though it drowns in the noise of the car.

Chishiya sighs and continues to watch the empty and dark buildings passing by. You're not repeating your mistake again – he lets you rest your head onto his shoulder; in no way he allowed you to actually cuddle with him. Why should he, after all? Only because you have exchanged a couple of words during the last days?

As some minutes pass by, your back starts to ache because of the hunched position you're in, and soon after, the car arrives at the game's location. Chishiya is the first one to get out and stroll inside the building that is covered in light.

You watch him disappear in there while you touch your skin where it had rested on his hoodie, and you can't hide a smile. There's this small pathetic flame of hope inside of you, telling you that maybe - just maybe – he'll let you do this again on the way back to the Beach.

But after the game, Chishiya doesn't enter the car. He prefers to walk back on his feet, leaving you with only the drunk guy and the driver. At least they're quiet now.