Chapter 7: Magic always has a price

'Why isn't she waking up?' Ein yelled; Anne was doing her best, but she could not heal Mei's mind. Even Estelle tried using Alpha to heal Mei, but it only healed her injuries, but Mei's mind was shattered.

'I cannot heal this girl; her spirits are protecting her mind so it will be impossible for me to do anything.' Alpha said, Emel and Carles were also in the room and they all look at Alpha.

'What spirits?' They asked, Omega looks at Alpha and she nods.

'Why don't you guys show yourselves? This is getting dull.' Omega said, Cage and Feather appear on Mei's body everyone is surprised to see a black and white bunny on her.

'Our master told us not to, but I guess we can make an exception for the other elementalist.' They said, as they look consciously at the asmodians...

'Mei is an elementalist? Are you what are causing her to stay in this state?' Ein said as he was ready to draw his sword, but they quickly behind Estelle.

'No... we're the ones who are trying to keep her mind together. Our master is in this state because of you.' Cage said angrily, he wanted to lash out, but Feather calmed him down and turns back to them.

'What are you talking about?' Estelle asks, Feather sighs and looks at her master as she was sweating uncontrollably.

'Our master... she used magic to alter this world's fate and now she is paying the price for it, as she wishes none of you to suffer again.' Feather said, but that is when Carles snapped and he drew his sword.

'Tell us what is going on directly or I am going to cut you into pieces rabbit.' He said, Feather shrieks but cage gets between them and gave him an angry glare.

'Our master used magic to turn back time and save Estelle... because the day she was kidnapped she didn't survive, Estelle Castielo died.' It grew quiet, they all look at Estelle and Cage continues to explain.

'You weren't in time the first time and Estelle's death caused the ruin of this family. Our master witnessed it all and she was heartbroken too. She wanted her happy family back, so... she turned to magic and found a spell powerful enough to turn back time so that Estelle would at least be spared this time. However, Mei paid the price, and this was her own fate to become as twisted pain the death of Estelle caused... a lab experiment for the Magic Tower. Magic always has a price, and this included that by the age of eighteen the memories of the former timeline would return to those she holds precious the most.' Cage hops back on Mei and looks sadly at his master and Feather holds her hand.

'Our master has been suffering for months, trying to keep the spell contained but it lashed out last night when she used all her energy to keep herself alive. We are trying to keep her a whole, but she is slowly dying if she doesn't let go.' Feather looks at Ein, Carles, Estelle and Emel.

'Please... I beg of you to take back your memories and save our master. She doesn't have long.' Feather said anxiously, they all held their heads up and smirk.

'We can take on anything, especially when it is someone dear to us. Bring it on!' Estelle said, Feather smiles and tapped her master's forehead and undid the spell, but she forgot the backlash that Mei was not just holding the memories of these four, but of everyone in the dukedom. So, everyone had their memories return. It caused quite the kerfuffle as everyone had to separate their original and current memories for a bit and work through the memory of Estelle's death. Estelle also had to work through the memory of facing her own death, but after a month or two almost everyone was back to normal with some talking and counseling. However, it seems Mei still was not waking up, according to Cage they had to slowly reconstruct Mei's mind and it would take a few weeks as even spirit kings struggle with this. Alpha and Omega helped too with permission of Estelle, Estelle watched over her sister day and night as she used the best of her abilities to heal Mei. She had given up her life to protect her family and give Estelle a second chance. A sacrifice she never even spoke of after they saved her from the Magic Tower, she had carried this burden around alone and just kept smiling.

'Why didn't you tell us? I said we'd protect you from now on.' Estelle said, it felt like she had failed Mei, so did Ein and Carles as they had been aware of the gossip surrounding Mei since she arrived at the mansion. As only Kelson treated her as a true Castielo, while others saw her as an intruder because of being so free spirited and being so easy going with men around her. However, now everyone regretted those words when memories flooded back about Mei as a child and the bright child she used to be and how she was always so kind to everyone, but also stern and mischivious. Also how Mei had tried to keep her family together after Estelle died as a child, but in the end gave her life in order to restore what had been broken. However... the one suffering the most wasn't her own blood, but the dashing knight she used to be friends with even as a kid. Who she always encouraged, saw the ugly sides off and yet always welcomed with a bright smile, and who had cemented her decision to give her life for his happiness.

I was in a dark tunnel, but I could slowly see a light at the end and blink a few times before I can finally reach out. I open my eyes and watch as the daylight burns into my eyes, I quickly look sideways and see Estelle who was holding my hand.

'Is this another nightmare?' I ask, Estelle jumps up and looks at me with tears in her eyes.

'You're awake.'