Lets Declare our Happiness

"Elena, come help me. I can't zip up this freaking beautiful ugly dress." It was my engagement party today and I had been forced to wear a silver jovani dress that Ottaviano had bought for me. It was breathtaking but I dreaded wearing something he had bought for me. Elena zipped up the dress, saying how beautiful I looked.

I looked in the mirror, I did look breathtaking. The jewelry I had on was a couple of shades brighter than my red hair and silver makeup, making my emerald eyes stand out. I might as well get married today. I took out my silver heels and looked at the time: 6:08. I was supposed to wait until someone came up to get me. 

"Go ahead," I told Elena. She had a light blue dress that allowed her blue eyes to stand out. At 16 she was already beautiful, following Olivia's beauty. She left and Nathaniel walked in.  I was still a little sour about him slapping me and he still had a guilty expression on. I felt guilty taking satisfaction that he felt guilty.

"You look pretty," Nathan said. I rolled my eyes:

"Oh please, you only say that because you're my brother. However, I think you're supposed to tell me i look ugly so you don't inflate my ego too much." My face broke out into a smile and Nathan's face lit up and he grinned as well. 

"No really. You do look pretty." Well then. He led me down to the stairs. 

"The doors will open and you'll walk down. I think Ottaviano will be there to take your hand at the end." I rolled my eyes,

"Boy, I know what happens. I've been to millions of these." Sad but true. Nathaniel left and the doors opened and I smiled as I descended down the stairs. The music had stopped and everyone was looking at me. Instinctively I looked for Olivia who gave me a reassuring smile as I almost crushed the stair rail, walking down the stairs.

When I got to the bottom, my future husband had a hand held out to me, taking the hand with my ring on it, rubbing his thumb over the jewel.  

After some introductions where Ottaviano kept looking over to me as if surprised I wasn't causing a scene. I wasn't stupid. I kept my dismay only for private encounters and I could keep a mask of happiness on in public. Finally I was released to go to the other women and even though I only wanted to go to my sisters many women stopped me to converse.

"I love your ring, Silvana," I thanked my cousin Sara. She was supposed to marry Matteo's younger half-brother, Sabastino. Olivia had told me Sabastino was much tamer than Matteo and it was hard to realize they were related in any way. 

After many meaningless compliments from women who most likely only wanted to get on Ottaviano's good side by getting on mine, I finally reached Olivia who was talking to one of the underbosses wives and her children.

She saw me and excused herself from the women and came up to me, hugging me for appearances sake. I however didn't respond with a smile; "you told Ottaviano the type of ring I liked!" I harshly whispered to her, leading her away from the crowd.

"He asked and you said 'whoever marries you will have to give you that ring' and I want you to be happy." I tried to stimulate emotions of anger towards her but after all that she had been through I didn't have enough hatred toward her to make me mad. Instead I was sad that I couldn't protect her from Matteo, I could barely protect myself from the men of the mafia. 

I sighed and was about to say something when Olivia's eyes downcasted to the floor and I stiffened when I felt a presence behind me. I turned around and smiled. I smiled, deciding I would preserve my strength until I found the right opportunity. Until then I would act the perfect bride I was expected to be. I would be an Olivia: a perfect trophy wife: kind, submissive, like royalty just a little stronger.

"Oh, are we expected together?" I asked him, sweetly. I meant to say it innocently but winced when it came out as if I was being sarcastic. I took his hand, holding my head up high. We walked into the crowd, my head resting on his arm, smiling at everyone present.

The party finally ended at 11 p.m. and I retired to my room, dropping my smile as I stretched on my bed. I was so not going to go through with this marriage.