Pretty Me Up Like A Doll

I woke up a week from my last meeting with Ottaviano, feeling like garbage. The doctor had cone immediately after Ottaviano had left, doing his best to give me salves and trying to mask my bruises. I had protected my face enough that I only had a faint bruise from when father had slapped me. The rest of my bruises had faded to a sickly yellow but the large bruise where father had booted me in the stomach was still light bluish green, hurting when I prodded it. My back bruises were gone. The last week father had ordered me to pack up my clothes but I hadn't at all. It was a desperate last action of defiance. I had pretended the last week that nothing had happened and that I was still a single "free" mafia woman.

I closed my eyes when I heard the door to my room open. We were staying at a guest house in the hamptons, a few houses away from where the wedding would be taking place. "Wake up Silvana!" I opened an eye to see Elena's estatic face in mine.

"Why are you up so early?" I asked her.

Elena rolled her eyes at me, "first of all, I put on seventeen alarms so I could wake up right now at eight o'clock." Yea, those seventeen alarms were what woke me up this morning. "Sadly I did not wake up until nine o'clock but today is an important day!"

"Ok I will get out of bed if you get out of my room for fifteen seconds." Elena narrowed her eyes then left my room.

"Fifteen, fourteen..." I jumped out of bed and found a bathrobe on a chair, reading "bride" on the back. I had only worn my bra and underwear to sleep last night because my stubborness extends so far that I brought nothing with md to even sleep in. I regretted that only slightly now. I tied the robe on just as Elena counted to one and burst back in. "I see you," she looked me up and down as if checking me out, "trying to seduce people before you're stuck to only one?" I didnt respond just went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. I would not sacrafise hygiene for anything. In fact I had taken a small suitcase but only filled with underwear and bras. I changed into a new set of undergarments, a set Allegra had forced me to wear underneath my wedding dress: a white bra and white panties.

I put my robe on again and when I exited my bed had been made and there was an army of people. "Ms. D'Angelo, please follow us." The woman at the front who I assumed was the leader took my hand and pulled me along. I was led into what looked like a studio with mirrors on every wall. However, right now it was makeshifted into a salon. I had gotten waxed everysinglewhere yesterday in this room. Now there was a swively chair at the front and the woman plopped me down. I sat and she began.

Four hours later I felt pushed to my limits. The amount of people who have touched me in these last hours and asked me questions, literally snapping my neck to the side to tilt my head back made me want to scream. I stood out of my chair, "Ms. D'Angelo, we are not finished yet."

I snarled at her animalisticly, "what else do you have to do?" They had painted my nails light pink and gold. Wel they had tried giving me acrylics but I reused. They had even painted my toenails white and gold. My face had makeup on it. They hd first tried literally painting my face, making my skin glitter and painting my lips gold and eyes some green color. It had looked nice but despite pretending I didn't care, I hated how my face looked like a makeup cake. I forced them to wipe it all off and start over, giving them a referece from my phone of bridal makeup. They still didnt follow it perfectly but it looked much better than before. Instead of the gold lips they gave me a reddish pink color. They painted my eyes a shimmery gold and lined them with black eyeliner. I thought I looked good but would never admit that aloud. They had also experimented with my hair, pulling at it and doing it up then down so much that I had finally stood up.

"Ma'am we have to finish your hair and put on your dress then fix your hair and makeup then we have to put on your shoes and also apply some shine to your skin."

"I'll be back in an hour." I left the studio and went back to my bedroom. A few seconds later and Elena was there, Nathaniel just a few steps away. I sat on the bench at the window and Elena sat on the opposite side, Nathaniel on the bench. This was how it used to be for six years, just the three of us. We sat in silence, consumed with our own thoughts.

"Im kind of hungry," Elena said. I cracked a smile and ordered Nathaniel to bring us up some food. He pretended to refuse before he hurried downstairs. "You know, for some odd reason, i thought it would just be us three for the rest of eternity. I never really thought you would get married, that I would get married," I would try my best to shield her from the horrors of marriage, "that Nathaniel and I would go to school together for years and years. But now everything is ending. I'll be a junior next year, you will be married to Ottaviano and soon Nathaniel will have to leave me to go kill people." I let out a breath.

"I did too Elena," I held Elenas hand, "but Nathaniel will never leave you, and I will find a way to see you as often as possible." I would fight tooth and nail for Elena, to see her. Nathaniel came back into the room, a man behind him with a plate of finger foods.

Nathaniel shrugged, "I went down with the idea of getting us some real food but the lady told ms to bring this up." The servent put the tray on the glass table and Elena and I rushed to it as soon as the servent left. There was an array of items from small sandwiches to mini pasta balls to tiny desserts. "Father told me to tell you not to eat to much." I had already finished my two sandwiches but pretended to nod at him. I had finished four mini sandwiches, three carrots, one pasta ball, a brie and pepper pastry thing, two tiny mousse cups and a min brookie when the door unclicked and I saw Olivia out of the corner of my eye.

I shoved a spinich and cheese thing into my mouth and invited Olivia to join us. She must have looked at Nathaniel and Elena because they left a minute later, piling up a plate with foods. I gesture to the food and Olivia calmly picked up a pastry thing. "Good right?" Olivia hummed in agreement.

She hugged me after I finished attacking the fod and calmed down. "You know I love you, right Silvana?" I nodded, "I love you so so much and wish I could help you. But I cant."

"I know Olivia, I dont blame you for anything."

"And if I took away this spinokapeta you wouldnt blame me?" She giggled and took the last spinach and cheese thing.

"Oh Hell no, that's the last straw." I tugged it away from her hand and we fell into our old bantering, only ending when I told her I would let her have the last brookie. "But really you know that I wish I didn't have to marry Ottaviano."

"I understand Silvana, I really do. But if you do what I say then he will be good to you, well as good as any mafia man can be." She came closer to me and lowered her voice as if someone was listening at the door, "don't fight him the first time. Don't fight him anytime but especially not the first. Please him and he might try to give you pleasure. Do what he says when hes looking and when hes away do whatever you can within limits. And please Silvana, if and when he hurts you, don't fight him back, don't scream or call for help. Just take it. The first day if he kicks you out of his bedroom, ind a new bedroom and make it yours. You are only there to keep him company in his times of stress and anger and need. You will need to please him and succumb to his desires. You are his wife and will give him children one day understood?" I nodded, too shocked to speak.

Is this what Olivia had learned throughout these six years. Would I be broken just like she had been? Was I already broken? My thoughts were discarded with Olivias last words: "and Silvana, if you find a way out, take it. Don't ever look back. Throw away your past life and live a new one. It doesnt matter what way you find out. Whether it has to do with your husband or with an escape. Do you hear me?" She shook my shoulders, a crazed expression on her face. The door barged open and Matteo stormed in. Olivia hugged me, whispering in my ear. "Anyway out. I love you so so so so much Silvana." She squeezed me before being tugged away from me into Matteo. She left with him and soon I was alone with my thoughts.

Not for long though because the lady makeup or stylist or whatever came into my room and forced me back to the studio. She forced me into a very elegant simple loose v backed dress with a slit  traveling up to mid thigh. It hugged me beautifully in the top half, and the long sleeves gave it the ethereal beauty. It was also very comfortable, not like other itchy dresses I had worn before. She put my hair into a low bun with white flowers decorating the back. A long back necklace was fastened to my neck and simple earrings were fastened to my ears. I put my feet into white high heels and stood up to see myself fully in the mirror.