Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Seulrene

You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

Seulgi sat at the table in her and Irene's  house watching her lover make scrambled eggs while wearing a silk chemise and panties. She had loved Irene from the moment they had met, more years ago than Seulgi cared to remember. She always felt blessed that Irene had returned those feelings. She occasionally wondered what her life would be like without the other woman but would quickly dismiss those thoughts as grim, her line of work was grim enough.

She had met Irene nearly ten years ago and they had been dating for most of that time. Seulgi  was still a beat cop back then and Irene hadn't yet opened her own practice. She was young, lithe and full of confidence as she walked the streets, her baton swinging was top notch and her eyes were open to everything around her.

She had left Kyoshu to pursue her dream just two years prior, and after a longer than normal application process and a grueling run through the police academy she had finally earned her first beat, a small, quiet neighborhood on the north side of Kyoto. She was proud and she looked it, her walk was more swagger than purpose and she smiled at everyone who passed by her, tipping her cap and earning a smile from some of the more upstanding citizens.

This day was just like the dozen other days she had seen in the last two weeks, the sun was high in the sky with clouds enough that it didn't shine in your face and a cool temperature that didn't leave you feeling cold. She was in a good mood when she turned a corner and heard a shout. "Help."

The sound came from a nearby alleyway and she sprinted the full way down it, arriving in time to see a woman pressed against the wall of a building by a man holding a knife with one hand and trying to tear her skirt off with the other. She walked calmly towards him, they both turned their heads to look at her as she approached. Tears streaked the woman's makeup as the man eased up on his hold. Seulgi stopped two paces in front of them and brandished her baton, her voice was strong and authoritative just like they had taught her in the academy. "Let the woman go, drop the knife and put your hands in the air slowly."

The man looked at her with crazed eyes, like those of a dog whose day had never come, then he threw the girl towards her and took off down the alleyway. Seulgi  caught the girl with her left arm and lowered her to the ground, then leapt forward in pursuit. He was crazed, running like a mad man down the alleyway, but Seulgi  was young, trained and determined. She easily caught up to him.

Her feet pounded the pavement, her boots rang across the alleyway as he ran around a corner and she barreled through right behind him. He had stopped and as she passed he pushed off the wall and used his size to knock her back but not down. He brandished the knife above his head and screamed a rabid, high-pitched sound that assaulted Seulgi's ears. He charged her, the knife poised to strike, and she reacted. Her hand moved to the butt of her pistol and, in one practiced motion, unclipped her weapon, drew it from her holster, thumbed the safety off and pulled the trigger.

She hit him in the forehead, right between the eyes. The bullet struck and knocked him off his feet. His legs flailed comically as his body fell onto it's back, the knife clattered away to rest a few feet away from him. He was dead before he hit the ground. Blood pooled around his head in an ironic halo as he heaved once then lay still.

Seulgi's arm was still outstretched holding the pistol, the barrel wavered with how badly she was shaking. Her vision blurred and the first thought through her head was, What have I done? She gathered herself and remembered the victim, the girl she had left in the alleyway to chase him down. She filed away all the thoughts about what had just happened for later then returned to the alleyway and found the girl sitting on the ground with her back against a wall. Tears were running down her face, Seulgi sat down beside her and put her arm around the girl's shoulders to comfort her. The girl closed her eyes and leaned against Seulgi, laying her head to rest on her broad shoulders as she fell asleep.