17. the receptionist

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN. 
the receptionist.

Angeline felt a bitter resentment to Mitch as she stormed out of the bathroom ten minutes later, keeping her chin held high as she flicked the light off to the room and settled into the bed, pulling the thin duvet covers all the way up to her chin. The sound of Mitch's typing stopped for a couple of seconds and he released an aggravated huff through his nose at the sudden darkness, but then, much to Angeline's annoyance, he carried on typing.

She couldn't believe that, in that moment, she had seriously let everything get to her and she'd ended up on her knees in front of Mitch Rapp. If Angeline could, she would have gone straight to her phone and texted her group chat about what an ass he was straight afterwards, but her hands remained empty and her brain drifted from the man sat a few feet away back to her friends.

She missed Ciara and Paige and she wondered if they missed her too yet. It had only been a few days, but she wondered if her dad was covering up her disappearance or if the whole school knew she wasn't turning up any more. The thought of her slipping attendance nearly made her visibly cringe against the flattened pillow beneath her head. It was nearly as uncomfortable as the mattress under her body. She preferred sleeping in Mitch's car.

Angeline cringed when she turned on the mattress, hearing the rickety bed frame squeak underneath her. She didn't even want Mitch to look at her right now-- he didn't deserve to. If she could unsuck his dick she would.

Now she was glad he would be sleeping on the grim armchair. She hoped his back ached in the morning and his neck was so stiff it cracked every time he moved.

Out of pure pettiness and bitter resentment for the man who had been practically spying on her since September, Angeline reached across the double bed and grabbed the pillow meant for the second person, putting it under hers so he didn't have one. It wasn't quite the sweet revenge that she would like to get, but it would do for now.

What must have been an hour of staring at the wall went by before Angeline heard the lid of the laptop slowly close, and the small amount of light coming from his corner quickly diminished. She listened to him shuffle around, his chair scraping back as he stood up again and walked to the bathroom. He only spent a couple of minutes inside before he came back out, and Angeline closed her eyes, despite the darkness, hoping to appear asleep.

"I know you're awake," Mitch deadpanned as he peeled his shirt off and scrunched it up into a ball, propping it behind his neck as he sat in the chair. "And what happened tonight was a mistake. It will never happen again."

"Nothing happened for me," Angeline said disinterestedly.

Mitch remained silent, supposedly ignoring her. "You seemed fine on your own afterwards."

Angeline realised he must have heard her in the bathroom, even though she was quiet. She couldn't bring herself to be embarrassed, not when she'd literally just let him spit in her mouth. Not that it would happen again.

"Yeah, highlight of my week, actually," Angeline snapped.

No more words were exchanged between the pair as Mitch shuffled to get more comfortable on the armchair. Angeline turned so that she wasn't facing him anymore, her eyes fluttering shut as everything seemed to come rushing back to her in the silence of the room. Her father, her brother...

A few tears silently leaked from her eyes and cascaded down onto the pillow below. Angeline didn't dare sniffle or move to wipe them away, not wanting Mitch to realise that she was finally processing everything and coming to terms with the fact that her life had literally changed overnight.