Chapter 12 Douglass, Second In Command Of Utopia's Military

It was a devasting night for Vanessa Bloom as she had to make a hundred calls to address the family members of her security guards. The ordeal was nerve-racking; it wasn't easy, being the bearer of bad news concerning the deaths of countless men on duty that night. To add more baggage to her shoulders, the infrastructure of her house was in a dire state. It was so bad that countless doors were down, furniture was lying all around the place, and blood prints were painted all over the passages.

"Yes, I understand, mam. I will do everything possible to find the people responsible for your husband's death."

She nodded as she listened attentively to the widow who contacted her.

After dropping the call, she rubbed her face with her hands and lowered her head. She glanced at the surface of the table with despair.

Clouseau made his way to her office and carried a tray with tea and a set of biscuits.

"Madame Bloom ou' dois-je placer your tray?"

"Please place it here."

Clouseau sauntered towards her table and placed the tray of tea and biscuits in front of her.

"Thank you," she replied with a bittersweet tone.

Clouseau perceived despondence through the tone of her voice.

"Madame excuse-moi, I apologize for my weakness. If I, Clouseau the third of zhe D'Aboville family, wasn't so weak zhe enemies wouldn't have apprehended me."

She turned to face him with a smile and placed her hand on his right shoulder.

"It's not your fault Clouseau, do not concern yourself about something that was out of your control. You did what you could, and I'm proud of that."

Her words melted his heart, and he smiled back at her in response.

"Thank you, mademoiselle genuinely means a lot."

She smiled back at him and said, "It's a pleasure, Clouseau. Now if you can excuse me, I need to find someone to replace me during my absence for the next couple of days."

"Oh, of course, madame, I will be on my way."

Despite working late during a devastating night, Vanessa was adamant about uniting with her fellow Guardians. Therefore, she put her issues aside and focused on her priorities.

After basking in an indulging bath, she devoured her meal in a separate room.

Many had considered her a social misfit, and this habit stemmed from a young age when she experienced a traumatic incident. Since then, she has avoided being in contact with many people. Although she may not like surrounding herself with people, life doesn't take kindly to her reasons and often forces her to connect with some of them. An instance of this is when she needs to make strong relationships with investors and influential people so that her company can grow and evolve.

She wore a traditional Chinese purple and white royal Hanfu dress. She also adorned herself with a violet-colored lip gloss and pampered her face with makeup. She let her long, coal-black hair cascade past her shoulder regions.

She made her way toward the basement; it served as a secret port for her aircraft. As soon as she arrived, she found her fellow Guardians waiting impatiently for her.

Pete crossed his arms and tapped the floor repeatedly with his right foot.

"You are late! I told you it was a bad idea for us to stay here for the night. Though your food was delicious, however, we could have left Paris as in yesterday!"