Breaking Routine

She kept fussing over her paw, repeatedly licking and recoiling from the pain. The young tigress, visibly confused lay at her mother's side, until the sun began lowering itself past the trees, casting long shadows on the ground below. The young tigress got up yawning, there was still time to get to the highest point of the island before sunset, a wide slab of rock that jutted over the main river's mouth. It was the young tigress' favorite part of the island, especially at this time of the day, the rock would be comfortingly warm but it's heat would be countered by the cool sea breeze hitting the island, if they hurried they would find the best conditions to relax in, relax.....that was all the duo did anymore, the old tigress was too old and grouchy to waste too much energy playing with her daughter, in all honesty it was all the old tigress could do to keep up with normal routine and at that very moment she was in absolutely no mood to get up and walk anywhere, no matter how comfortable. Her paw was completely useless, the buck that she attacked had certainly got its revenge before dying and she was in agony. No attempts by the young tigress could get her up and moving, she hadn't even eaten her share of the kill ....highly unusual of her. The young tigress sensing her distress, stopped bugging her but stood restlessly staring in the direction they would usually take to her favorite spot. She couldn't understand just how much pain her mother was in and started getting annoyed, for as long as she could remember they had followed the same, unchanging routine and breaking it made her anxious and confused her but she wouldn't go by herself as she and her mother were an in-separable pair and she wouldn't leave her mother side so, she settled back down, sitting near her mother and watching the deer herd who seemed to peer back in astonishment as if they couldn't believe this break in routine either , usually the large killers would have moved on and left them in peace by now. The two tigers remained where they were until the stars and moon outshined the sun that night.