Chapter 2

"T-Tails?" I say as look down at the two-tailed fox, who is still a little shorter than me. "Sonic...is it r-really you?" he said looking horrified at the state I was in. After a few seconds, I slowly nodded as I put my ears down. I looked back at him, as his eyes started to fill with tears.

"Sonic, I missed you! I thought I'd never see you again." The dam busted as his eyes started to water as I pulled him into a hug to help calm him. I rubbed his back as he cried holding onto me. "Tails, it's alright... Calm down." I assure him as he slowly stops crying. I keep rubbing his back until I look up at the sky, which was looking rather drewy. "Um, I think it's gonna start raining soon, how about we go to my place?" I ask him as he raises his head. "S-Sure." We both soon get up and start walking to my house.

I was kinda scared of letting Tails into my house, given my living conditions. My apartment was small, but nice for me. I had also managed to get a job at the local corner store to help pay the bills, but I still find myself at soup kitchens every few days.

POV: Tails

As we walked up to his porch, I was wondering what I was going to see. Sonic looks much different than he used to three years ago. He looked much more... worse. Like the world has gotten to him and he's struggling. I honestly felt sad for him.

As he opens the door, I could immeidintly smell cigarettes and a faint smell of marijuana. I wasn't even sure it was legal in this part of the city. I look around the small apartment to see just the bare essentials; not even a kitchen table.

On the coffee table, there were some joints along with a pack of cigarettes along with a lighter. "Sonic, how do you live like this?" I ask him, as he looks at me and smiles warmly at me. "Don't worry, I'll be fine, but what about you. How's everyone been?" he asks me as he gestures for me to sit on the couch next to me.

"Do you want one?" he says as he offers me a cigarette. "I-I don't smoke..." I say as I put my ears down at the sight of my once best buddy, and what happened to him. "I don't want to you know, but I can't just quit. Believe me, I've tried." He tells me as he inhales and exhales the smoke which fills the room with a putrid odor. I try my best to breath out of my mouth, not wanting to smell anything.

"So, how's everyone else?" he asked me. "Well, soon after you left, we all have just started seeing each other less and less, until something happened and everyone just... disappeared." I told him as I noticed that his ears drop. "W-What happened?"

"That's what I don't know, but I think the answer is something that I don't think you wanna know..." I say as his eyes widen at what I'm gonna say. "You don't mean." He says, slightly scared, as I soon nod...

"I think Eggman's still alive..."

_____________________________________
I'm not going to say as much at the end like my other stories, but I really wanted to say that I hope you like the story so far, and feel free to comment, which I might respond to...