Chapter 8: What Is This, High School Musical?

“So you like her?”

“No, I don’t fucking like her. What is this, middle school?”

“Chill out, what is so bad about liking her?”

“Maybe because our low-life father has been stealing from her family for years. Plus she would never go for someone like me.”

“Aww are you insecure?” Troy taunts me.

“I’m not fucking insecure. Can you just get to the fucking point of why you called already?”

“That Harvey prick gave Dad a black eye.” Fucking Harvey.

“What the fuck, when?” I try not to yell. Jane is still asleep in my lap and I don’t want her to wake up and hear this.

“He came over for more drugs and punched Dad in the face. Kids got a lot of anger.”

“Well what am I supposed to do about it?” I ask him.

“I have no idea, I just thought you’d want to know.”

“How considerate.” I sneer.

“What crawled up your pants?” Troy snaps.

“Are we done?” I snap back at him. The longer I talk to him, the more irritated I get.

“Yeah, nice talking to you too, Bro.” He hangs up and I feel like throwing my phone at a wall. What an asshole. I look down at Jane who is asleep in my lap. Her eyelids are fluttering, telling me she is dreaming, and her dark hair falls around her face like a waterfall. I brush my hands few it a few times. Fuck, what is this girl doing to me? I can’t get involved with her. It would be a mess. I would get attached too quickly and she would leave when things got complicated, leaving me a disappointed idiot. I can’t believe I played the guitar for her. What kind of fucking idiot am I? She probably thinks I’m pathetic now. She stirs in my lap, and her eyes slowly flutter open. I quickly remove my hand from her hair and drop it on my lap.