Chapter 1: Just Married

Lockers slam all around me as the warning bell for first period rings. I bang my head against the metal and groan.  

“Am I too young to fake my own death?” I ask my best friend, Melissa who is frantically pulling books from her locker.  

“Too young, no. Too rich, yes.” She slams her locker shut and grabs my arm, pulling me down the hall to first period.  

“How does the size of my bank account relate to my ability to tell the world I jumped off a cliff and then go into hiding for the rest of my life?”  

“Because you won't be able to survive without your bank account, princess.” A deep voice that does not belong to Melissa responds. I whip my head around to see Asher Wayland standing behind me with a smirk on his face.  

“Excuse me?” I scoff.  

“Oh, I’m sorry princess, did I offend you? I hope you don't send your Daddy after me with his team of lawyers.” He rolls his eyes and stalks past me before I can retaliate.  

“Ignore him Janey, he is just an ignorant asshole.” Melissa comforts me. I shake it off and follow her into our health classroom just as the last bell rings. We both take our seats as our teacher, Mrs. Mayburry starts handing out worksheets.  

“Good morning class, I hope you all had a good weekend. Today we are starting the baby project! Now, I’m sure you are all familiar with it as you have seen seniors carrying around their babies in past years, but I’m still going to go over the particulars. First, you can choose your spouses, but he or she must be someone of the opposite gender.” Melissa immediately goes with her boyfriend of seven months, Adam and I quickly realize that there is an uneven number of people in the class, and I am partner-less.  

“Um, Mrs. Mayberry,” I call, raising my hand. “There is no one left for me to partner up with.” She pulls out her attendance sheet.  

“Ah, Mr. Wayland is not here today, but you can be married to him.”  

“How am I supposed to find him, he never shows up?” The last thing I want is to be partnered with Asher Wayland. Everyone knows he doesn't care about school, and if I get a bad grade on this project because of him, I don't know how my father would react.  

“That is up to you, Ms. Humphrey.”  

“But-”

“I’m sorry, Jane but there is nobody else for you to marry and this project requires you to be married. You can't buy yourself out of this one.” My jaw drops as she turns to walk back to her desk.  

“I wasn't-” the sound of the classroom door opening cuts me off. Principal Meyers walks in pulling Asher Wayland behind him.  

“I believe this wanderer belongs to you, Mrs. Mayberry.” Our teacher nods and Principal Meyers pushes Asher into the room and leaves while shaking his head and muttering to himself about deliquants.