Chapter One: Cold Winter

December 1988
Two years had passed since the summer in which the crooked man's case had blown up. Not much had changed. Bigby sighed heavily as exhaustion finally forced him to sign his last report and head home for the night. He collected his coat with a cigarette on his lips and a feeling of defeat. The hallway was absolutely empty, and all was still. Too quiet for his own liking. As he locked his office door, he couldn't help glance at the business office. He subtly whiffed and confirmed his own suspicions. Snow was definitely still here. He pondered just a brief second before deciding to check on her.

*creaaak*

Bigby pushed the old door open. He shook his head at the sight before him. Snow was passed out on her desk. Bufkin and Boy Blue were nowhere in sight. She must have ordered them to rest- he thought. He smiled at the thought of an angry Snow and the hesitant look of the pair as they ran off to do whatever it is they did with just a few days before Christmas. Bigby put out his cigarette and slowly walked up to Snow. "Snow, it's time to close. Everyone's left,"- Bigby whispered as he nudged her softly. Snow slowly blinked awake. "Mr. Wolf... I ... what's wrong? Is there anything I can help you with?"- Snow stated as she fidgeted a little in an attempt to fix her state of in-composure. There it was, the cold and distant tone Bigby had tried so hard to avoid. Could she really be mad after all this time? Christ, she could hold a grudge! "No, I am simply heading home for the night. I came to file these reports. I suggest you do the same, Ms. White everyone else's has gone home."- Bigby dropped the files in the cabinet and left the office. The heavy door slamming right behind him.

Snow was taken aback by his cold retort. She couldn't blame him, though. Time and time, she had pushed him away. And when the Crooked Man's case was closed, she insisted on adopting a more formal relationship. Once again, she isolated the only person that seemed to care about her in this forsaken city. "But it was for the best"- she reminded herself. She sighed heavily and left the cold office.

She rode the elevator in absolute silence. Reflecting on how the few exchanges of words with the Sheriff could have gone better. The last time they had been normal with one another was the night before the crooked man was caught, and Bigby had almost died. Of course, that was the night she almost stepped out of character and admitted that maybe she did care more for the wolf than she was willing to show. She realized once again that her emotions could easily betray her during the crooked man's trial. She still had nightmares over the thought of Bigby being dragged into the witching well by the Crooked Man. It's all done and taken care of now- she thought. She finished the glass of wine she had inadvertently filled as she pondered in her apartment and went to bed.

That night a snowstorm with lighting and thunder struck the city. Even Fabletown's shields seemed threatened by mysterious magic in the air. The witches on the 13th floor prepared to sound the alarm. Something was coming...

The next morning                                                                                                                     9:00 A.M.

Snow was on her way to start a new day in the office like always but was stopped abruptly by the large crowd gathered outside the door. She suddenly felt a hint of panic. Had she overslept? Was today a special holiday? Had the sheriff done something to upset the Fable community once again? No! Maybe I did something to receive the rage of this multitude finally, and they are all waiting to speak to King Cole this very minute- She thought.  Her fears subsided when Beauty and Beast smiled at her. She worked herself into the crowd and managed to get close enough to speak to them. "Just what is going on, Beaty?!"

"Apparently, a new fable arrived at Fabletown last night. No one knows how they managed to escape the Adversary."- Beauty said.

"A new fable..."-Snow repeated.