Untitled Part 1

THE UNTOLD STORY OF DAVE THE DESTROYER 1989

Continual splashing and the delighted screams of children at play had become a staple to Dave, to the point where his mind had almost switched it off. The radio over the tiny PA system was always his focus, playing all the latest euro-pop hits from half a world away. Songs that made him dream of another life, suave and fashionable, unlike Reanton Memorial Pool, full of those screaming kids and all those Vets that were his dad's amigos.

Dave Valentine's dad owned the pool, and since he graduated high school last year it seemed that the pool now owned him. It wasn't too bad though, it was a dreamy and relaxing place, just not the place he wanted to stagnate while exciting things happened in London and Paris. The GIs certainly seemed relaxed, on cloud nine even. But Dave had work to do, lifeguard come pool attendant work.

His friends thought it was cool, especially in summer, they all loved to hang out there, in fact he couldn't be unpopular if he wanted to. From the grandstands he could keep an eye on the whole pool, as a result that's where Terri and Sarah went to find him.

"Hey Dave, everything still cool for tonight?" called Terri.

"Hi guys, yeah, as long as there's no more than ten of us, but then I can stretch that out to fifteen."

Sarah double-taked a look at a guy walking by, "God that is so wrong I don't know where to start. I don't get why your dad lets that go on."

"Why do wrinkly old guys insist on speedos?" added Terri.

Before Dave could give their remarks the ignorance he thought suitable his dad began hollering from the other end of the stands, "Davey get those lanes set up or the swim club gonna take out their practice on your head. You shoulda' had this done an hour ago!"

"Wow," murmured Terri, "why didn't he just shout it on the microphone?"

"Pop's just a little highly strung 'cause it's Monday and the postman hasn't been yet. It takes ten minutes to string up the lanes and he knows it."

Sarah chuckled, "You'll make a good pool attendant one day."

Dave knew this was meant as a dig, as both girls were studying at college to be officers in the air force. "Don't think I fully understand the concept of stress, but hey, some people thrive on it and actually seem to work better." he said getting to his feet.

"Ok Dave, you're busy, we'll see you tonight 'bout eight." offered Terri and they gave him a wave.

Dave was just stringing up the last lane when the PA squeaked to interrupt one of his favorite songs, "Attention Dave to the front desk!"

"Ah," he thought, "Senior Gascar, the postman has finally arrived, Pop's gonna ease up at last."

"Dave, take over here," said his dad rather shortly, "and break out some more change, don't let it run out in the middle of a rush. I hope you got those lanes up, some of the league are pullin' up out front now. You gotta be more organized like your brothers Nick and Carlo. They had this place runnin' like clockwork."

Nick and Carlo, Dave's older twin siblings had not been heard from since they had a falling out with Pop fully three months prior. Pop had convinced Mum that they had enrolled in Officer Academy and always spoke highly of them. This served to quiet many questions and Pop had said it so often he believed it himself now.

The pool shut at six-thirty and Dave spent an hour taking care of his responsibilities to circumvent Pop interrupting the pool party over some trivial crap or other. He turned up the radio until it was on the verge of distorting and wheeled a trolley of snacks out by the high dive board.