Ten.

Eavesdropping
⤜━𝕩𝕠𝕩𝕠 🌹 𝕩𝕠𝕩𝕠
Lucas Ashe

(2 Months Ago)

It was late.

My body ached.

I was sure my torso was bruised. Each inhale only confirming my assumption. My hand tried to hold the door handle but refused to curl into a fist anymore tonight.

I pushed myself hard. Maybe too hard?

It didn't matter because I won.

I won my least favorite way - by knockout.

UFC wasn't boxing. It was more. You could morph your entire body into a weapon to make someone submit. I rarely saw it a point to throw punches at some guys head when I could easily wrap my legs around his torso and forearms around his neck until he's gasping for air.

Plus, I loved hearing my opponent smack the cage floor with an admission to his own defeat.

There was something about the drum of a palm, quickly hitting over and over like they're scared for their life - because of me.

So, putting my all into throwing punches so I could claim victory in the first round didn't do it for me.

But as soon as I walked into the front door and saw a Tupperware container with cookies, I knew I did the right thing.

A five hundred dollar fight meant I was just a little closer to moving out.

My bruised and cut up fingers grazed the small sticky note that sat on the top of the red plastic and smiled.

'Hope you kicked ass.
Who am I kidding?
I know you did.
Enjoy your victory cookies.
-Jessie
P.S. there's ten of them. DON'T TOUCH THEM OLIVER.'

I stifled a small chuckle as I counted all eight cookies. I relaxed my back into the counter and stuffed the peanut butter goodness into my mouth with a soft moan of appreciation.

I love a woman who could cook.

And Jessie? She can follow a recipe and make it taste like it came straight from the book.

"Goddamn these are good." I whispered out into the dark room and closed my eyes.

"I'm glad you like them." Her soft, raspy voice made me jolt to a stand.

My body reacted instinctively to her, puffing my chest at the thought of her watching me. All my testosterone piled together to try and act big and tough around her. Maybe hoping to attract her?

I'm doing a mating call. Great. Let me just grow a set of colorful feathers or pound on my chest while I'm at it.

"They're delicious." I gave her a light smile, only able to see her body outline from the fridge light as she rummaged through the food.

She yanked out the jug of milk and pulled out two cups while I flicked on the sink over light.

It wasn't bright but it was enough to see her wearing a simple oversized shirt... and nothing else.