Chapter One-Odette

The girl glides down the hall, almost as if she's floating. Her dress is like clouds against her skin. The full moon bright and shining through the open window, her golden hair like a halo around her angelic face. She enters through the double doors she has walked through so many times and kneels in the center. Then just like every other time she has done this the feeling of not being alone rises in her like a waking dragon. She can feel her hair on the back of her neck rise at the feel of so much magic in the air, the magic of the land, her home, her family, it was so strong she nearly fell over. It has never been this strong before and the girl is confused.

Suddenly, she looks up and can hear herself speaking the words that have been in the back of her mind for the past six months finally rise out of her like a wave;

Six children of noble blood

The spy, the lost princess, the warrior, the runaway and the twins so alike yet different,

six children, all with pure hearts,

they will rise and band together to unite all eight kingdoms once and for all. They will wield magic far more powerful and pure than has been seen since centuries before their time.

The dictator will fall and the true leaders will rise victorious.

I woke up shaking and shivering, sweat running down my forehead. I threw off my thin blanket and walked out my bedroom door straight into the kitchen. It was time to make breakfast for the royal family anyway. They had to start early today; they have guests coming from the other kingdoms. All except Saintmar, ever since Malum heard a mysterious prophecy he's been trying to take over the other kingdoms. I pulled back my long strawberry red hair and prepared breakfast. I lost myself to the comforting and familiar motions of the morning since I was five, since I began working in the castle with my family. As I moved to prepare the plates I allowed myself to think about my family. I know they aren't my birth parents as they're both dark skinned with dark brown hair and caramel eyes. A vast difference from my bright red hair and heterochromatic eyes and pale skin; with just a touch of color. My father was a warrior for the king, his personal warrior actually; when he died protecting the king from Malum's assassins; my brother took his spot when he turned 18, I was eight when he died it's now my 17th birthday and I miss him. He was my best friend; the only one who helped me learn about my magic. I shook my head to get rid of the memories and instead focused on mentally running through battle moves to avoid the sad memories; I can't think about that right now. I was brought out of my thoughts by an "Odette!" I turned my head to look at whoever it was that brought me out of my thoughts. Seeing that familiar smirk and bright blue eyes made my mouth break into a smile. Everest's bright blue eyes sparkled at me with that familiar light of mischief and knowing. His laugh brought me out of my inspection of his face; I didn't dare allow my eyes to wander farther down. "You know all you have to do is ask?" his smirk screamed trouble. All I did was roll my eyes at him. "What do you want Everest? Aren't you supposed to be preparing Malin's horse for his ride? Their breakfast is being served now." I didn't look at him the entire time, knowing that teasing grin would be plastered across his tan face. Instead, I focused on cleaning the dishes humming under my breath. I stopped when I felt arms wrap around my torso and a warm body press against mine; "All you have to do is ask. I would gladly take you to my bed, Detty." His warm breath tickled my ear making my shiver and my core clench, "Even if I did want somebody in my bed, it most certainly won't be a buffoon like yourself." his chuckle made my cheeks warm. I'm not afraid to admit he's an attractive man, at twenty years old with raven black hair and electrifying blue eyes Everest was a drip of honey surrounded by acid. He flipped moods faster than a stallion at a sprint.