CELL 02: ACCEPTANCE OFTHE SINS

Zen felt like he was drowned in cold, cold water. He saw a man in a suit killing his parents, and behind the man stood another Zen.

The other Zen looked at the first Zen with wide, scarlet eyes, emotionless, and whispered two words:

"Eat them."

Zen's heartbeat rose instantly, about to burst in his chest. His eyes cracked open, and he saw a slate grey sky blocked by trees. He was outside, lying on a blanket of snow.

He heard something clicking and turned his slowly, to see a young man in a black jacket sitting next to a small fire, loading a handgun.

"Ouji?" He croaked.

Ouji looked at him with sorrowful eyes. "So, you're awake," he said dully.

"What... what's going on? Where am I?"

"We're in the woods, just a little bit away from your house."

Zen struggled to get up, and felt a searing pain in his head. He touched it, felt something sticky.

"Careful," Ouji said. "You were shot in the head."

Zen groaned, then widened his eyes. He looked at Ouji, who was staring emotionlessly back.

"What happened, Ouji? Why are we in the woods?"

Ouji kept his gaze level. "You don't remember?"

Zen shook his head, then widened his eyes, the events of last night returning way, way too suddenly. He looked at Ouji, horrified. "M-my parents are dead."

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

Zen gritted his teeth and tears streamed down his face. "That man in the suit... Chromeskull."

"Is that what he calls himself?"

"Yeah." Zen touched his head again, and looked down the hill where his house lay. "Someone did shoot me. Why!?"

"Excuse me?"

"I was just about to kill him!!! I was going to rip his eyes out, stab him open and crush his heart! Then someone shot me right in the head! Who did it!? Who shot me!?!?"

"I'll tell you, Zen. But before I do... did you know you were a ghoul?"

"What the hell are you talking about!?"

Ouji looked at Zen's raging face carefully. "Zen, do you remember what you were going to stab Chromeskill with?"

"What? I was going to stab him with a- a-!" Zen stopped suddenly and touched the bottom of his spine. He felt something shift underneath his skin.

That's right... the voice in his head told him. He looked at his friend, who had a blank face, simply observing how Zen would react.

"O-Ouji..."

"I think you need to see something, Zen," Ouji said. He took out his phone and gave it to him.

Zen held up the phone shakily to his face and looked at his reflection. His eyes.

The irises were red as blood, and the sclera were black, cracking into his skin.

Zen screamed and threw the phone into the snow, touching his eyes in horror.

Ouji looked at his friend carefully and spoke. "Zen, I have to tell you something."

Zen looked at him, unable to speak.

Ouji filled his cheeks with air and blew it out. "Okay, so you obviously don't know. I was really, really worried I was wrong, but I'm not. You're a ghoul."