CELL 05: RISE OF A SCORPION

"I don't know what you're playing at," came a voice.

Zen turned around. He was in the infarmary room he had woken up in, staring at the holes in the wall Kureha and Jun had made when they impaled him when the voice came. Standing in the doorway was Ouji, hands clenched into fists.

"What are you talking about?" Zen asked cautiously.

"Oh, fuck off. You know what. I just joined a ghoul organization. A motherfucking ghoul organization. I... I kill these guys for a living, Zen. How can you just expect me to work with them!?"

"You should have said something."

"Like I'd get the goddamn chance!!! With you giving your dramatic-ass speech to Momiji!!!"

"Who?"

"The leader, you know the woman we were just- don't change the subject!!! Now I get dragged into this bullshit with you!!! I know you want to solve all this, but I can't go through with this!!!"

Zen narrowed his eyes. "No one said you had to stay. I just thought you were committed to helping me. If you want to leave, then go ahead. No problem. I'll do this without you, 'hunter'."

Ouji gritted his teeth. "Don't think so low of me. I still need to make sure you stay in line. I don't think these ghouls are going to stop you with that." He sighed and rubbed his eyes. "Also, I can't leave."

"What? Why?"

"Momiji said I'm the only one with knowledge of how to modify the guns. If I try to leave... well, I become dinner."

"That won't happen."

"Damn right! I happen to like being alive. And if we have to work with these 'Factory' assholes, then... don't think for a goddamn second I like it. But I'll do it."

"Assholes, huh?" Came a voice. The two looked out the door to see Jun standing there. "You'd make a great meal," he smiled.

"What do you want, asshole?" Zen asked.

"Momiji wants to see you two now."

"It's only been two hours. Does she miss us already?"

"Oh, no. She just wanted to let you rest with our special coffee. We've been waiting for sunset. She loves to do this at this time."

"What are you talking about?" Ouji frowned.

"Oh, you'll both see. And Zen? Be faster." He walked away, hands in his pockets.

"What," Ouji asked, "the fuck was that about?"

Zen shrugged, grabbing the thermos full of coffee Momiji had given him and took a swig, leaving the room. "I don't know," he said, Ouji following, "but I did figure out one good thing."

"Oh, yay. Care to enlighten me?"

Zen grinned at him, head tilted. "If this all goes well, you won't have to get some stupid job anymore."

XXX

"Hello, Zen," Momiji said, waiting outside.

"What is this about?" Zen asked annoyedly.

"Well, if you really want to join the Factory-"

"Wait, wait, wait. What the hell is this about? I thought you already accepted me and Ouji into this!"

"We need only strong ghouls. You have to prove your mettle. A test of toughness, if you will." She said all this with a smile.

"And if I fail?"