Chapter 4: The Creature

The shadow towers over me as my heart races, I pull Christal behind me and close my eyes, waiting for our potential final moments. There it was. The light that shows up when you die. It wasn't what I thought it would be. In fact it was a red light, not a white light that usually shows. Is this hell?

I open my eyes to reveal a small, white light and three people.

"Kacey?"

"Kerck?" I respond.

"You made it!" Stacey says with joy, helping me up.

"I guess we did," I smile, getting Christal to her feet.

"Alright, enough with the yapping. We think that we've found the exit, but we decided to look for you guys," Matt explains. "Let's hustle," he exclaimed with joy, making an echo in the room.

"Oh no," I say with worry on my face. "The thing, it heard you," I explained, pointing to the room where Christal and I just exited from. The creature stood at the entrance, blood dripping from where his mouth should be, and blood on its pointed hand. It stands there, looking at us for a minute, then it pounces. I was the first to run, wanting to get out of this hell hole.

"Follow me!" Matt yells at us, taking the lead yet again.

We ran as fast as we could, with the creature on our tail.  Matt ducks behind a wall and we copy his move. I crouch behind the beige wall beside Kerck as he turns off his flashlight. I try to not make a lot of noise as the creature walks past us. It continues its search, determined to find us. I look at Matt trying to catch our attention. I nudge Kerck and point to Matt. Matt waves his hand, indicating to follow him, I nod and slowly get up with Kerck behind me. We walk in the opposite direction of the thing. Matt leads with Stacey and Christal behind him. We try to walk as quickly, yet as quietly as possible.

"Ow!" Kerck exclaims. "I stubbed my toe." That was enough to catch the creatures's attention. We ran as fast as we could. My legs felt heavier each time I picked it up.

"Down here!" Matt leads us to a long hallway with a door at the end of the hall. As we make it halfway across the hall, the creature makes a loud shriek, making the floor rumble. We stop as we look around to see what's happening. The ceiling cracks with little pieces falling to the floor. We hear a cry of help that leads to the end of the hallway. There, Christal is standing at the entrance, too scared to move.

"Christal!" I shout, running towards her. I've never ran faster before, determined to get her out of this hell hole alive. The rumbling became louder when I fell on my face and felt a cold, wet liquid drip from my forehead. I try to get up, but I just fall again, I'm exhausted and out of breath from running all over the place. The cracks on the ceiling became bigger, and what was once tiny pieces of rocks falling became larger rocks breaking through the air. I looked at Christal to see if she was okay.

The creature.

The creature towered behind her as she stood there waiting for me.

"Christal! Run!" I shout.

It was too late. The creature raised an arm and a huge stone fell between us, blocking the horrid sight that was about to strike.

"No!" I scream at the top of my lungs, my eyes teared up. I couldn't save her. Something grabbed my waist and swung me onto its shoulder. When I look at where I was, a boulder crashes down. The person dashes to the door and gently puts me down. I look at their faces to thank them for saving my life.

"Thanks Stacey." Stacey gives me a comforting smile and then focuses on the rest of this group.

"Alright, this time we've gotta be prepared for what'll happen," Stacey states, looking at all of us with concern. She opens the door to reveal complete darkness. Kerck flashes his flashlight and looks down. He blocks the doorway with his arm.

"If we walk out of here, we would fall into god knows what," he says, looking at us. I look back to the hallway as it continues to collapse.

"We've got no choice, either we go down there and hope for the best, or we get crushed by a boulder and instantly die." I look at them with a stern face. I move his arm out of my way and jump down the tube. My soul leaves my body and hair flies up as I scream for dear mercy.

Other screams follow behind me, indicating that they followed my lead. I look down to see four separate holes, as if the person who made all of this knew that only four people would make it out of there. I hold onto one of the dividers that is dividing the slides. It cuts into my fingers, forcing me to let go. As I slide down into one of the separate tubes, I leave a trail of blood from my fingers. I look down and see the exit. I brace myself for what will happen next and hit the cold, hard ground.