Chapter 3

The weeks passed and the weather got warmer. You spent more and more time outside with Damon, Stefan and Caroline and you thought to yourself that life had never been so good. Picnics, hikes, swimming, all the outdoor activities you just loved to do. The four of you seemed to spend every waking minute together, and you knew your friends and family were pleased for you and your happiness. You got on well with Caroline, teasing the brothers with her and laughing at their vampire antics. She was generous, kind, and loyal, just the type of person that the you and the Salvatore brothers wanted in their lives. In a brief moment of rest, lying on your back on a picnic rug looking up at the clear blue sky, you thought that everything was absolutely perfect.

It wasn't until late summer, when the leaves were starting to fade that strange things started happening to you. It started when you got into your car, set off and realised that your brakes weren't working. Luckily, you barely left your house and you came to a stop gently without incident. Stefan came over to fix them for you, his brief stint as a mechanic coming in useful.

The next occurrence was at school. You opened your locker to get your snack for during your break. Absently mindedly opening up the Tupperware of mixed nuts, it wasn't until Caroline grabbed them from your hands, muttering under her breath, 'what an idiot, surely she checked the packet!'. You looked more carefully at the Tupperware and noticed peanuts, laced into the otherwise innocent collection of brazil nuts, almonds and cashews. You looked at Caroline, your face mirroring hers in shock. 'I did check!' you protested. 'I always do!' It was true. Knowing that a mistakenly consumed peanut could result in a trip to hospital, or worse, kept you on your toes when it came to your peanut allergy. Caroline closed the lid of the Tupperware and put it into her locker, next to yours. 'I'll sort them out, Y/N. Just be more careful!' You nodded, knowing full well that the Tupperware hadn't contained peanuts when you'd made your snack that morning, but deciding not to press the matter.