borders//e.d

(y/n pov)

"What do you mean closed?" you asked, pacing up and down the hall. "The borders can't be closed!"

"Sweetheart-"

"Ethan, you have to be back!" you exclaimed, on the verge of tears. Ethan sighed on his end. "Drive across, now, just drive and you'll be here by morning."

"I can't drive across the border, angel; the borders are closed." You broke into tears, dropping into your couch. "Don't cry, y/n."

"I don't care if they're closed, what're they gonna do-"

"Imprison me?" E asked. "Fine me- I don't know, babe, but I won't be able to be there for sure if that happens."

"Ethan my due date's tomorrow!" He sighed again. "You have to be here, I can't give birth alone, not like this-"

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I wanna be there, I do, you don't think I do?"

"This is not fair," you whispered. He hummed.

"I know."

"Maybe she'll be a little late," you whispered, rubbing your stomach. "Maybe a week?"

"I think borders are gonna be closed for longer than that." You frowned at the painting on the wall of your apartment. "This is a global pandemic, sweetheart."

"E."

"I know." You began to cry harder and he wanted to hug you so bad. "I'll be there- there in no time, eventually, a month tops, I hope," he whispered.

"Okay."

"And- it's okay, y/n," he whispered.

"How's it okay, this is everything but okay." He didn't say anything. "Who's gonna cut the cord and shi-shit, E?" You wiped at your cheeks.

"A nurse or something will, that's okay, that's not that importan-"

"It's important to me!" you yelled. "I want you here, E, not this far away!"

"I know, I know," he whispered. "And I do too, but I can't do anything at all, my love." You fell back into the couch crying. "Please don't cry."

"What if I suck at taking care of he-"

"Don't say that," he whispered. "You're gonna do a great job." You frowned and sniffled. "Just a month or so, okay, and I'll be right there beside you and I'll never leave again."

"Yeah, you better be here," you whispered, gasping for air. "Asshole." He chuckled softly.

"I will, I promise."

---

"What's she lo-ok like?" E asked, voice cracking, midsentence. You stared at the little newborn tucked in your arms, your phone pressed to your ear by your shoulder.

"She's beautiful," you whispered. "She's really small- her hands are so tiny, E and her feet are so soft." Ethan laughed a little. "All over, she's just- she's perfect."

"I bet she is," he whispered. "We made her." You rolled your eyes and smiled as you held her carefully. "The hospital was nice and everything?"

"Yeah, it's all good here- they have nice food, actually, E." He laughed. "I miss you so much," you whispered.

"I miss you too," E whispered. "I wish I could see her." You smiled.

"Do you want me to send you a pi-"

"No," he said quickly. "I wanna hold her the first time I see her," he said, his stifled cries obvious over the phone. You wished more than anything that he could be there with you.