Chapter 32.

John B covered Sarah, and I flinched. I looked at Ward and then saw Sheriff Peterkin fall to the ground as Rafe came around the corner. 

"Rafe," I said under my breath. "What did you do?" Ward asked him. I ran over to the Sheriff. 

"J no." John B said. I didn't care. I grabbed my bandana and covered the hole. 

"It's going to be okay," I said, a single tear falling from my eyes. He pointed the gun at John B and Sarah next. John B ran over to us. "Call for help." She muttered. He picked up the radio and Rafe said "Don't try it asshole." Ward bent down next to me. "Give me the radio." 

"No," I said. He took it out of John B's hand. "Run," She said to us. "I can't leave you here." John B said. "Go." She said. After hesitating for a moment I said "I'm so sorry" as we stood up and got Sarah. 

"Where are you going? Huh"' Rafe said. John B and I started running, as Rafe shot at us. We got to a road, and John B rolled over the hood of a car. "You okay?" I said, helping him up. The guy asked if we needed help and we kept running. 

We ran until we got to this random place. We turned the corner, both silent. 

"John B, J!" They said and ran over to us. "Are you okay? Is this your blood?" JJ asked John B and me. A cop car pulled by, and we hid. When they were gone I looked at JJ and gave him a hug. "J what happened?" He asked me. 

"Rafe shot the sheriff." John B said. After John B explained everything we went to the sheriff's department. 

"Someone's gotta tell them." John B said as we pulled up. 

"Look you might end up in there, but you never go. Like my old man said, you never trust the cops." 

"Your old man is an abusive liar," Kie said. 

"Fuck the police," Pope said. "You going to the dark side?" Kie said. "When was the last time they helped us?" Pope said. "Peterkin looked out for me. Tried to at least. They need to know. Come on J" He said, getting out of the car. 

We walked into the front desk lady. "Excuse me, ma'am." John B said. 

"This is not a good time kid." She said, yelling about something on her walkie. "I know who shot the sheriff." He said. "You two stay put." She told us, running off. "We have a suspect, all units be on the lookout for John Rutledge." 

"Got it. 16-year-old John B Rutledge. White male, 6'0 last seen wearing-" We heard on the walkie. "Fuck." I said to him. Two deputies walked out. "Don't move." The guy said. We put our hands up. "He didn't do it," I said. "Breathe," The lady said. We started backing up, before running. "Kie start the car!" John B yelled. We jumped in and she drove off. 

The two deputies started to follow us, and we lost them. "John B what did you do?" Kie said. We explained it all, and Kie drove us to this little shed thing and parked. We ended up sleeping there, well I couldn't sleep I'm pretty sure everyone else did. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw Peterkin laying on the runway.

I couldn't see anything else.

Every time I even thought, it was her.