Evolution

"Alright, let's get to work!"

Danae tied her hair back and wrapped it in a cloth. That should keep it secure for most of the day, even if a few loose strands may fall.

"There is no hurry, Danae," said her father, somewhere behind her. He chuckled lightly. "The day has only just begun."

True to his word, the man was making preparations slowly—not so slow that he would be slacking off, but slow enough to show that he had no reason to rush at the speed his daughter did.

"I know that," said the young woman, "But I want to get there early. Our landlord is so nice to us, there is no reason for us not to reciprocate."

Again, her father chuckled. "Sure, sure. I believe that."

She huffed. "Come on! It's true!"

"It is true, but that isn't the main reason for you to be so quick every day, is it?" he teased.

Danae turned away. "I'm not talking to you!"

But of course, her father knew her best. The two of them had lived together for as long as Danae remembered. She had no siblings; her mother had died at her birth and her father never remarried. He seemed to have no plans or will to do so, either, instead focusing all his energy on his one daughter and the piece of land he cultivated for his landlord. The two lived modestly, but they had all the necessities they needed.

Now, Danae did her portion of the work, and gathered the materials she would need to deliver to her landlord that day. She made no delay running across the field. Along the way, the lively young woman waved to her neighbors, all of whom knew where she was going. This practice had gone on for years, after all.

Before long, she arrived at the door. There, she set down her deliveries and showed the guard the pendant hanging from her neck, one she normally hid under her clothes. Upon seeing the pendant, the guard let her in. Once inside, Danae ignored every glare and ran upstairs until she reached the only room she was truly familiar with. It was only there that she knocked.

"Even if I am to lose my sight one day, I would still recognize you by the sound of your footsteps," came a voice from the room.

Danae took that as permission to enter, so she opened the door and closed it immediately after she was inside.

"Shura!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around the young man as soon as she saw him. "It's been forever!"

"Two days," he corrected her, but not without a fond smile. "But it might as well have been forever."

Without looking away from her, Shura reached for his curtains and drew them close. Now that the girl was here, he had no reason to look out of his window, anticipating her arrival. The room darkened. Taking that opportunity, he leaned in and kissed her. She returned his passion, lacing her fingers through his golden locks as she did.

When they stopped, they stopped at the same time. Danae stayed in his arms, looking up into his eyes. After a moment of silence, he whispered, "Yesterday was a terribly long day."

"I know," she answered, "Father and I went to visit mother's grave."

At that response, Shura sighed softly. "I wish I could, too. Lorena has always been the sweetest—yet so fragile and unfortunate."

"Always?" she asked, "Do you mean...?"

"It was she who summoned me last time, and it was she again this time. I doubt she recalled any of it, but the sentiments she summoned me were identical."

"Identical? Exactly the same? From ancient Greece to now?" Danae asked, arching her brows in surprise.

"Indeed. Strange, isn't it?"