My Best Friend Death {Chapter 4}

"Focus on my thoughts Rebel." Toby said, "Concentrate on what I am thinking about."

"I am, but nothing is coming up." I lied to him.

"Why is it not working? It should be working, Toby." Anubis said impatiently.

In actuality, Toby's thoughts were getting very annoying. Constantly digging into my mind.

Can you hear me? Rebel, blink twice fast if you can hear me. Rebel? He thought. I was so tempted to just reach across the table, grab his head and bang it into the table. I concentrated on the music that was playing in my ear buds.

"Hey there, girl with one eye. Get your filthy fingers out of my pie. I said, hey there girl with one eye, I cut out your heart out 'cause you made me cry." I slowed my breathing and concentrated on the fine wood table in front of me. I sighed and looked at the ceiling, trying to block out everyone.

"Rebel?" Anubis asked and I looked up at him, annoyed look on my face.

"What?" I snapped at him.

"How do you feel?" Anubis asked, "Feel any different?"

"Brother, I've told you, if I was dying, I would be able to feel it. You would be able to as well." I say, tired of their worry, "Trust me, I'm not going to die."

"If she is sure, then you can go." Toby says and I change the song I am listening to. One of my favorite songs played and I smirked, softly singing along.

"Look at me, what have I become? I am lost I was once a gentleman. But the thief came out, in my London town, so I must leave you now, but I will remember the ups and the downs. Goodbye my friends, goodbye to the money. Adieu to the-" I was interrupted by October.

"Are you sure she'll be okay?" She asked, "She looks kind of sick."

"The Healing makes you a look sick, but unless there is something she is not telling us," Toby paused and looked into my eyes, "then she should be fine."

"I'm going to spend some time here for a while, okay Anubis?" I say, staring back at Toby.

"Do not do anything I would not approve of." Anubis says and puts a hand on my shoulder. I scowl at his comment but quickly press my lips together and keep staring at Toby. October followed Anubis out and after they were out of hearing range, Toby attacked me with questions.

"You could hear me, couldn't you?" He asked.

"Yes. Why did you not say anything about it of you knew I could hear you?" I fire back.

"I knew Anubis would want to know what was really wrong with you, and I don't think he would take it well." Toby says then looks softly into my eyes, "Why are you casting black magic? You know how dangerous that is."

"How do you know?" I ask, "And I did not get that tattoo. The demonds can feel the black magic, they are drawn to it. Their venom kills anyone who is not practicing black magic, and it leaves a tattoo on anyone who is."

"I know because I have practiced before, I still do." Toby said, leaning forward, "Why are you practicing?"

"I have my reasons, as I would imagine you do as well." I snapped at him.

"It is a dangerous thing to mess with Rebel." Toby says slowly.

"The demonds found us and almost killed Anubis. Do you not think I know the costs of what I am practicing?" I say and stop the music that is hammering through my head, ripping the ear buds out of my ears, "I would not be practicing unless I knew the costs and had a very good reason to."