Alone

'Go, Lucy! Do what you're told for once! Please! Save yourself for me.'

'No... no, I can't... No. I'll stay with you.'

'Oh, for Pete's sake.' I lifted my arms and flung Marissa across the room, along with the bomb. I took a deep breath and faced them, with all the light and love in their eyes, their arms around each other as they stared at me, panic-stricken. They still had hope of a long life, with happiness, and with that hope I gave them mine. Mustering the courage, I gave Lucy one last grin.

'Brace yourselves.'

I didn't know whether the explosion would destroy my Source or break the tether, but I didn't want to find out. I helped Lucy by saving her from the explosion, and she helped me by breaking the silver-glass. I guess all I had to do was move on. Go to the gate. Into the Unknown.

No.

I wasn't ready, not yet. I didn't know if I could go back, but I was too scared to go on. That left me wandering around the other side, forever drifting, forever cold and alone.  As I stood there, I wondered. Lucy was the only person that could hear me, really hear me, and she understood. Death was boring. I could talk to her whenever I liked, and even though she was insufferable, she was my only friend. So I made the descision.

I was going back.