Chapter 10

Burrowpaw almost couldn't contain herself as she sat down next to her mentor as Stonestar called to the Clan. It was finally time to announce who was going on the patrol to search for the third Clan. Darkmoon's face remained neutral except for the faint glimmer of anticipation in his eyes. Burrowpaw wondered if her father had told him who was going on the patrol. He was the deputy after all.

      "Today I shall announce who will be going on the patrol to search for this lost Clan," Stonestar began. "I've picked who I think will do best and learn the most from this experience. The cats I have chosen are...."

      Burrowpaw could feel the buzz of excitement that radiated from her Clanmates as they waited in suspense for Stonestar's answer.

      "Mousesqueak." A chorus of applause went up for the dusky brown she-cat who looked up at her leader in bewilderment, and, when she finally registered his words, she gave him a nod of gratitude.

      "Burrowpaw and Dandelionpaw." Burrowpaw gave a shout of joy that was quickly silenced by a stern glare from her mentor. Dandelionpaw also looked delighted by the prospect, but knowing her brother he was also quite nervous.

      "And Darkmoon will also be joining them. And in his absence, Glarespot will temporarily be holding the position as deputy," Stonestar finished. Darkmoon gave Glarespot a congratulatory nudge to which the golden tom returned with a look of gratitude.

Burrowpaw bounded over to her brother and tackled him to the ground. "We're going to find the lost Clan!" she said jubilantly. "Can you believe it?"

       Dandelionpaw smiled, righting himself. "Hardly," he said.

      "We should prepare the traveling herbs," Starfur told him, beckoning Burrowpaw's brother with her tail. The pale tom nodded and followed her inside, his eyes glowing.

Burrowpaw felt as if she was about to burst she was so excited. She was going to see so many things! A whole new Clan of cats! Who knew! Maybe even Stonestar would even name her a warrior when he heard about how brave—

"Get some food before you leave and say goodbye to everyone." Darkmoon interrupted her thoughts, casting a dark shadow over her. What a grump! Burrowpaw nodded as politely as she could muster and slipped away toward the fresh-kill pile without glancing behind her.

       When she arrived, she was greeted by her best friend. "So, you're going on the patrol," Sparrowfeather said, giving her a friendly nudge. "Congratulations!"

      Burrowpaw started to purr, but the sound got caught in her throat when Griffinwing stalked up to them. "How can you be happy for her?" she hissed at her brother. "She's only going because she's Stonestar's daughter."

      Sparrowfeather rolled his eyes at his sister. "So? He said that the cats who would benefit the most would go on the patrol. That's not us." He pressed himself close to Burrowpaw, as if protecting her from his sister's rage. She found this a little unnecessary since she knew she could hold her own against the fiery she-cat.

      "You chose the wrong side," she growled at her brother. "Hope you're happy." And with that, she stalked away.

Sparrowfeather sighed and gave Burrowpaw a small nuzzle. "She'll get over it," he reassured her. Burrowpaw nodded, she knew how impulsive Griffinwing could be with her words, so she had learned not to take offense.

      The two picked a plump squirrel from the pile and shared it, exchanging a few brief words about the upcoming journey. Burrowpaw felt lighter talking to Sparrowfeather. She was relieved that he wasn't upset about her being chosen like his sister.

      When they finished she gave him an affectionate nudge. "Don't have too much fun while I'm gone." Sparrowfeather smiled. "Okay. See you soon."

      Burrowpaw bounded over to where her mentor was waiting beside the camp entrance. Starfur was standing just outside the medicine cat den, drilling her brother about herbs while Darkmoon studied her, but Burrowpaw couldn't figure out much from his vacant expression.

When Starfur was done with Dandelionpaw, he came over with several bundles of traveling herbs. She swallowed her share and tried not to gag on the taste. He brother saw her face, and gave her a teasing smile which she acknowledged with a mockingly annoyed flick of her tail.

"Mousesqueak! Come over here!" Darkmoon called over to the small she-cat after he finished his herbs. Mousesqueak was resting her chin on Scarletpetal's shoulder while the ginger she-cat gave her a reassuring lick on the head. Burrowpaw rolled her eyes and smiled at them. She hoped she'd find someone special one day, but definitely not for awhile!

      "We need to get going," Darkmoon told Mousesqueak as she scurried over and licked up the herbs, giving him an understanding nod when she was done.

Stonestar came forward and gave the members of the patrol an encouraging nod. "Starfur has given you the directions?" he asked Darkmoon, who confirmed with a nod. His leader looked satisfied. "Then good luck on your quest and may StarClan light your path." The gathered cats echoed his words and Burrowpaw felt her body fill with energy at their voices.

When everyone had said their goodbyes to the questing cats, Darkmoon led them out of camp and toward the Gathering Hollow.

The cats that greeted them when they arrived were none other than Blacktail, Purpleshade, and... Fogpaw.

      Fogpaw gave her a sideways smile that made her stomach flutter nervously. Why did she feel this way?

      Darkmoon immediately made his authority clear by taking the lead, sometimes asking Dandelionpaw and Fogpaw for a few pointers. The two apprentices didn't have much to offer, but even small pieces of information were appreciated. She began to wonder just how vague Starfur's directions had been.

      Burrowpaw hoped they would be able to find the lost Clan, Stonestar would be so disappointed if they didn't. She was determined to make her Clan proud of her, and this was the best chance she had.

      This was a journey of a lifetime.