Flashback Blurb

This is just a short post of a past interaction between Harry and Daisy. It does not have to be read to understand the story but it is referenced in later chapters :)

---

Daisy would never speak of it. Hell, she hardly thinks of it because it goes against every thought she's ever had about Harry, but being alone in his old bedroom gives a girl lots of time of think about it, especially when the reminder of it hangs in his closet.

It had been a mutual friend's birthday party, a boy named Garth that she's known since they were toddlers, and the celebration had taken over the beach. Daisy wasn't exactly happy about a beach party, but as long as she stayed away from the water she knew she'd be fine. She made it through the whole party without being questioned or pressured to go near the ocean, and her and Summer managed to avoid Harry and Niall all night. Truthfully, Daisy doesn't even know why he was there considering he's always been an outsider but she didn't dwell on it.

By the end of the night, she thought she'd successfully made it through the party. The crowd that was left had gathered around the bonfire Garth had lit, everyone nursing drinks and laughing about nothing. Summer was with Garth, hopefully admitting to him that she's had a crush on him for years, and Daisy was left to chat with Georgie, a boy that had moved into town about a year ago and was still shy around large groups of the hometown kids. Daisy didn't even know Harry was still at the party until she desperately needed his rescuing.

Georgie was polite, at least she thought he was, until he had finished half the bottle of wine in his hand and kept telling Daisy how "smokin'" she was. It was awkward but she didn't want to be rude so she kept thanking him, shrugging him off when he tried to kiss her. Daisy had stepped back, pressing a hand to his chest but he pushed forward until the alcohol on his breath stung her eyes.

"It's just a kiss Daisy, don't be a prude."

Daisy's heart had pounded in her ears, panic flooding into her stomach and she was desperately trying to find an excuse to push him away, to leave. But she didn't need one.

"S'not just a kiss if she doesn't want it." His deep voice cut in, an edge to it she'd never heard before. Even when he saying the most awful things to her, he never had spoken like that. "So get the fuck off of her."

Harry immediately shoved Georgie back by the shoulder, placing himself between Daisy and the drunk boy. Confused but grateful, Daisy gladly hid behind his tall frame.

"Think you're saving her Styles?" Georgie had slurred and Daisy felt Harry shift as he tried to move out of the way. "Stand up for her all you want but she'll still never want you!" Georgie's exclamation was accompanied by a shove into Harry's chest that broke the wine bottle between them, staining Harry's pristine white button up with red liquor. Without wasting a second, Harry had swiftly threw a clean punch to Georgie's jaw that sent him stumbling back. That caught the attention of the crowd, and ended up being another reason why no one liked Harry. He had seemingly attacked the sweet new kid, but Daisy knew that wasn't true.

She was grateful when he had wrapped his fingers around her wrist, leading her away from the party and towards her house. They walked in silence, Harry's hand still holding her wrist firmly but she didn't dare pull away. Not with the waves of anger wafting off of him. They didn't speak of it, not even when he deposited her on her doorstep and waited for the front door to shut safely behind her before walking away.

Daisy always thought Harry had punched Georgia for staining his shirt, one she knows was undoubtedly more expensive than all her clothes. But now, seeing the shirt hung in the closet, faded red wine still splattered on it, she thinks maybe it was what Georgie said that had prompted the punch. She hopes that one day Georgie sees them, her and Harry, wedding bands on their fingers and mutual kisses placed on each others lips. No alcohol, no insults, no stains. Just them. And she hopes Georgie sees that he was wrong about everything, including Harry.