Chapter 3

"So this is the palace, huh?"

Daisy rolls her eyes at Summer's teasing, the two of them giggling as they climb the steps to the house. Harry's car isn't sitting in the driveway as it was his ride to work this morning, and she smiles a tiny bit at the reminder that she gets the house to just her and Summer.

"S'not a palace," she defends, sticking her key in the lock and throwing the door open. "it's big, much bigger than my house, but still."

Summer follows her in, eyes widening as she takes in the living and dining room. Daisy's taken it upon herself to start opening the blinds and French doors in the mornings to allow some light in, giving the house a much homier look.

"Technically, this is your house Daisy." Summer breathes, running her fingers over the polished wood table her and Harry eat dinner at. "Now give me a tour!"

Although Summer's words made her a bit anxious because this is definitely not her house in her heart, she still leads her to the kitchen. It's pretty much visible from the dining room, only separated by a large counter top, but she supposes Summer would still want a good look. After fawning over the shiny white cabinets, Summer follows Daisy up the staircase.

"Don't come up here much," Daisy admits as she steps onto the landing. "but I think I know where everything is at."

Summer doesn't question her about not exploring the second floor of the house and Daisy is thankful. She doesn't know why she doesn't come up here. Maybe because she knows Harry sleeps up here, and after him very rudely telling her not to sleep by him she just feels uncomfortable up here. That's why, after showing her the three guest bedrooms and bathroom to the left, they're upon Harry's room and the forbidden room.

"Harry sleeps in there," Daisy says quietly, as if Harry might pop out from behind the door to scold her for stepping too close to his room. Summer hums teasingly, reaching around y/n for the doorknob.

"Summer no!" Daisy squeals, smacking her friend's hand away. "We can't go in there! He'll find out and be even more pressed than usual!"

Summer rolls her eyes at Daisy's dramatics, but nevertheless releases the brass knob. She nods towards the other closed door. "What's in there?"

Daisy shrugs, chewing her bottom lip. "He told me to stay away from there," she admits embarrassed, eyes widening as Summer leaps towards the door and throws it open before Daisy can even think to stop her. She gasps, reaching forward to grab Summer before she can step too far into the room but the sight makes her freeze.

It's empty. The room is 100% empty. Nothing but a huge three-pane window with a windowsill daybed covered by a white sheet, and dusty wood floors. Elegant sconces sit on the far wall, the perfect width to frame a bed. The room is truly beautiful, and Daisy's a little upset that Harry wouldn't let her take this room. The daybed is the perfect spot to read and she's sure it's got a wonderful view of the backyard.

"This is nothing Daisy," Summer says, clearly unimpressed, "it's an empty room. It tells us nothing about Harry."

"W-why wouldn't he want me to come in here?"

Summer shrugs, running her fingers over the light pink walls. "Maybe it's haunted!"

"I don't think so," Daisy immediate assures, "otherwise we'd hear weird noises at night and it's always silent up here."

Summer frowns. "Harry doesn't make noise?"

Daisy shakes her head.

"Never?"

Another shake. "Only when he's mad."

Summer looks Daisy up and down, thumbing at her bottom lip and jutting her hip out, deep in thought. Daisy, feeling like a pig on a spit, stays frozen like a Popsicle. She doesn't know what loony thought is running through her best friend's head, and she positive she doesn't want to know.