Chapter 3

Thursday, Stiles' place, 10:14 am
Stiles' POV

Today's the day. Every second I get out of bed, I feel like the universe is always ready to take me on. Or the other way around.

We have Mike's funeral today after school.

Now that I think about it, it was Mike's birthday at midnight. I never got to say "happy birthday". I can't believe I forgot my own best friend's birthday.

As I'm getting ready to head out of the door, I look at my parents photo. It was the day of my 11th birthday. Dad had just came back from the army.

Sunday, March 10th, 1980
Beacon Hills, California

Stiles' mom, Claudia, is in the kitchen preparing for Stiles' birthday cake. Stirring the flour, eggs and cacao powder in a wooden bowl with a wooden ladle. She's wearing a black apron, with striking pink stripes like peppermint candy.

Her shiny, curled brown hair is put up in a perfect bun along with two front hair pieces dangling on one side and the other.

"Stiles, can you come in the kitchen for a second?" Claudia yells into the living room where young Stiles had been watching tv.

"Yes, ma'am." Stiles answered in a respectful tone. "What do you need, mama?"

"Can you help me finish stirring the ingredients, honey? You see, I'm not feeling too good." Claudia adds holding her hand to her head.

"Are you okay, mama?" Stiles asks in a concerned way, holding up her arms and giving a worried look.

"Just start stirring, Stiles." She points to the bowl with her other hand on her forehead and walks away.

Stiles lets go of her and returns to the ladle.

Claudia walks and stands behind Stiles and watches him stir the cake ingredients.

"Are you sure you're okay, mama? I will be just fine if you won't be able to prepare the ca-"

"Rawr!"

Stiles gets interrupted as soon as Claudia grabs him and starts making playful monster noises and grumbles while she's tickling him.

"You fell right into my trap, vermin child! Now I'm going to eat you up and put you into a scrumptious pie!" Claudia playfully yells in a deep monster-like voice.

"Haha, no, stop it, it tickles!" Stiles giggles while covering his stomach to prevent Claudia from tickling him.

"You can't escape me, Stiles! It's time to bake you!" Claudia adds and blows raspberries into Stiles' stomach.

Stiles giggles once more and Claudia lets go of him.

Then, Stiles puts on a sad face.

"Honey? What's the matter? Aren't you having fun?" Claudia asks in a sincere tone.

"I am, mama.. it's just.. I wish Daddy were here. He should be here on my birthday." Stiles replies in disappointment.

Claudia deeply sighs and hugs him. "I know, honey. Don't you worry, now. Daddy will be home soon before you know it."

"I hope so." Stiles says in a hopeful tone.