Chapter 1

-9 years ago-
Saturday, December 25, 1999
In Beacon Hills, California

Chapter 1: Part A

"Scott! Scott, wake up!" Stiles exclaims excitedly into the walkie-talkie.

Stiles puts on a sour face and waits for a response. But no one answers.

"RAWR!" Stiles screams into the walkie -talkie.

"AHHHH!" Scott bellows and plunges to his cold, hard wooden bedroom floor.

"Are you up, Scott?" Stiles asks him playfully with a light chuckle.

"I am now!" Scott complains in a grouchy tone.

"It's time. It's finally time!"

"Time for me to chop off my ears and bury myself in a grave?" Scott says sarcastically.

"No, dummy, it's Christmas!" Stiles replies annoyingly.

"And?" Scott questions.

Stiles pauses. "What do you mean, "And? It's like, one of the best holidays to ever exist in history! You know, when the creepy man with a white beard comes to eat your cookies and slips you money."

"Don't you mean Santa?" Scott interprets.

"Yeah, him too," Stiles replies.

"It's super early in the morning and I want to go back to bed. Besides, aren't you too old for Santa?" Scott asks ignorantly.

"Are you kidding?! You're never too old for a magical overweight guy to bring you presents! Which can sometimes be possibly food!" Stiles informs happily.

"So what does this have to do with me?" Scott asks.

Stiles sighs exasperatedly. "Fine. If you must know... my dad's going to be gone for a few weeks for a case in Vietnam later on today and maybe I just wanted you to come and hang out." Stiles explains, but in his tone, he's discreetly hiding something.

Scott shows interest in what he's saying, but in a more sympathetic manner. "...He's not going to come back, is he?"

Stiles once again pauses. "....Maybe not."

Scott deeply sighs. "Listen, forget about the whole "still tired, too early" thing. I'll be over in a minute."

"Hurry up, slowpoke," Stiles responds playfully while holding tears back.

12 hours after Christmas

Stiles wakes up to see himself lying in his bed. He then goes downstairs to check on his mom, Claudia, like he always does every night.

"Hey, Mo-" Stiles pauses to see his mom not laying in her bed, where she always sleeps.

He goes to the living room to see if she's in the kitchen, making a late-night snack.

He notices the tv is on, and the news channel is going with a news reporter saying, "We arrived from the scene with Vietnam police officers from yesterday, with reported news that a man's body was found along the highway of Vietnam's busiest roads."