Chapter 11 - Heading on

It was more than true that Mrs. Dove would be relieved to see her sons. When she saw Sam and Peter she burst out in tears, sobbing unstoppably as she hugged them. Finally Sam had to tell her to stop because she was squeezing him to pieces.

Mr. Dove was the opposite. His ease did not appear in crying but in anger. He was furious that the two had not been more careful, and shouted at them that if Clare had not managed to escape and find Henry, there would be nothing left of them.

Henry stood quiet, but flew after a while off, tired of listening to Mrs. and Mr. Dove complaining. Clare joined him. Few cars drove on the roads now. It had become very late and the moon was high in the sky. Henry could feel Clare staring at him.

“How is the country like?” She asked. “I’ve never been there.”

Henry sighed. ”It’s a wonderful place. There are trees and grass everywhere.”

“Like a park?” Clare asked astonished.

The owl gave a small chuckle and then sighed again.

“No, It’s not like a park. The country is calmer but wilder in a way. The trees are bigger, the grass is greener and the air is fresh with a soft smell of bark and wet soil. Even if there is not a single sound of cars, horns and shouts it is not silent. Birds sing in the trees, mice rustle in the bushes and out in the fields deer graze with their young,” Henry said dreamily. There was a short silence.

“What a place!” Clare said wide-eyed. “But what’s a deer?”

Henry looked at her. After realizing she was serious it was hard not to laugh.

Clare knew little of the outside world and she was eager to learn. By the time Henry had told her all he knew she looked perplexed.

“I never knew there was so much to discover,” Clare said fascinated. “Of course I’ve heard rumours about the country, but I didn’t think it was much different from the city.”

Henry didn’t say anything. Now that he thought about it, he figured it must be the same for every dove. How could they possibly know what the country was like when they had only seen the city? Thoughts raced through his brain.

“Can I come with you?” Clare suddenly interrupted.

“Huh…What?” Henry said awaking.

“It sounds so nice. I would really like to see the country,” She said grinning.

Henry didn’t say anything, his mind was still far away.

“Clare, the country is not just something you can go and see, it takes days to fly there.” Henry said trying to find words.

She stared at him.

“The journey is not easy,” Henry said.

“So?” Clare asked

“Clare, come on,” Henry tried. “The country isn’t all good. I’m telling you, the foxes would not say no to a nice dinner.”

“So?”

“Clare!” Henry said seriously. “The forest is not a place for a dove, ok.”

“Then why are the others going?” She said stubbornly.

Henry was starting to get annoyed. “CLARE!”

“Ok, ok. I get it,” She said hanging her head. “I just want some adventure…”

As soon as the sun had risen they lifted off, flying at a slower pace than normal, due to Sam and Peters injuries. Henry hoped that nothing would stop them from reaching the fields. He had gotten more and more anxious about seeing his home again, the place he had seen so many times in his dreams and nightmares.

Everything went smoothly until noon.

“Henry!” Mr. Dove shouted nodding backwards. The owl looked around.

Oh no, Henry thought giving a big sigh. He turned around quickly and kept on flying, trying to ignore the red fiery dove appearing next to him.

 “Hello Clare,” he said, still keeping his gaze forwards.

“I’m coming with you!” The dove said happily.

“I can see that,” said Henry.

“The country seems so nice, and I’m sure the foxes won’t be a problem,” the dove said, not realizing how annoyed the owl was. “Dad will be coming along later,” Clare continued.

Henry didn’t say anything, and he let out a sigh of relief when the dove flew over to Sam and Peter. The two boys looked more than pleased about Clare joining them. Why was he so against her? Could it be that he was afraid of letting their hopes down. He had not told his friends about hunters and saws that disturbed the peace in the country.

Henry gazed around trying to get his thoughts elsewhere. Everything was going to be fine, why was he worrying so much? Though still, as he eyed the lush green horizon, uncertainty came over him.

Clare’s father joined them at midday when they landed to have a break. He was a small, short-winged and quite fat dove, with grey wings and a brownish body. His beak was the shortest Henry had ever seen and it was a wonder that he managed to pick up the few crumbs on the pavement before lifting off.

In the beginning he managed to fly quite well, Henry was surprised that his small wings would carry him that fast. Though when evening approached his breath was unsteady and you could see that he had a hard problem landing due to his tiredness.

Clare was the total opposite. She flew fastest of them all, turning and doing loops in the air. Sam tried to copy her though was told off by Mrs. Dove when he turned out so dizzy that he couldn’t fly straight. Peter just laughed following along, he seemed to be having the time of his life.

They passed over a large airport as the afternoon set. Sam and Peter gazed at the sight with wide eyes. Pointing and gasping at the huge machines parked everywhere.

“Dad, dad, look it’s flying!” Sam shrieked amazingly pointing at the aeroplane soaring in from above to land.

Clare laughed loudly at her two friends faces and Mr. Dove looked greatly amused.

Peter did not believe that the aircraft contained people. He explained matter of factly that he had never in his whole life seen a human being fly, and noted that if they could, why on earth did they use ladders and stairs?

Henry made them all fly to the side, as to avoid of getting in the way, for he knew these big monster machines would not stop to spare a few bird lives.

As they passed a starting plane they all had to hold their ears, the sound was immerse. Mrs. Dove almost lost her balance, since she had closed her eyes, and Mr. Dove had to grab her quickly to avoid her falling to the ground.

When they had flown out of earshot Sam uttered plainly.

“That was cool.”

“Scary I would say” Mrs. Dove muttered still shocked.

“Did you see the way that thing just, whoosh, and flew up in the air!” Sam commented almost screaming.

“The thing was huuuuuuge” Peter exclaimed joining in.

“What do you call them again?” Sam asked squinting at Clare. “Adroplans?”

“No!” Clare said laughing, “aeroplanes.”

“awoplanes.” Sam said after her, and everybody started laughing.