Chapter 18 - Not too bad

“A right smart friend you’ve got there,” a harsh voice said behind them. Hubert appeared grinning softly to himself. “Ha, a dove caught in a mousetrap who’d guess. But then again there’s not much difference between them.”

“Shut up Hubert,” Henry said. “I’m guessing the only reason you’re not in one is because you’ve been in one before and learned a lesson.”

The rat eyed him angrily, but didn’t say anything.

“Dad!” Clare screamed. “Are you alright?”

Delford had one of his wings clamped tightly under the metal bar. He stared shockingly at the object, totally frozen.  “My wings sore,” he mumbled. “Why’d it do that?”

“It’s a mousetrap Delford.” Henry said.

“A mousetrap,” Delford repeated. “Oh great.”

“Well too bad for you maty,” Hubert said smiling. “But you’re just going to have to live with that wooden piece on your wing for the rest of your life.”

“Don’t be stupid,” Henry said. “We’ll get it off some way.”

Delford looked at his wing, lifting it slowly off the ground. The mousetrap stuck hard and followed his movement. Sam grimaced, it looked pretty funny.

“Hubert, do you think you can chew the wire holding the bar?” Henry asked turning to the rat.

“Are you nuts?” The rat said high-pitched. “I’ll break me teeth.”

Henry sighed and looked around searching for some sort of tool they could use.

“We could use a saw I guess,” Mr. Dove said looking hopefully at Henry. “I’ve seen humans use them on construction sites.”

“I don’t think that’ll work,” Henry said. “They’re for humans, not birds.”

He walked forward studying the mousetrap. “Ok, I know. We all have to hold this side and pull. And Delford, you have to pull the other way ok?”

They understood what he meant and all grabbed the side of the wooden plank of the mousetrap. Hubert stood watching amused.

“Ok, on three,” Henry said. “One, two, three and pull!”

They all pulled one way leaning backwards with their strength. Delford pulled the other way, closing his eyes in pain and concentration. They stopped to catch some air and pulled again. The metal bar slid slowly down the dove’s wing. After three pulls it slid off Delford completely and they all toppled backwards in opposite directions. The mousetrap hit the ground with a clatter and Delford sat down breathing quickly and wincing in pain. He looked down at his wing.

A large amount of feathers had slid off with the bar and most of Delford’s wing was naked pink with red scrapes. His grey and brown feathers lay on the ground, in between straws of hay and dust. Clare ran to hug her father. Everybody gave a sigh of relief.

“Can I keep one of these as souvenirs?” Hubert said grabbing a feather and studying it. He looked across at Henry who gave him a torturing look. The rat dropped the feather quickly.

“Dad, why’d you touch the trap?” Clare asked looking at her father.

Delford looked embarrassed. “Well, I couldn’t find any food in the truck and I was so hungry,” he said. “I didn’t think of what it could be.”

Mrs. Dove was talking quietly to Mr. Dove. Sam and Peter eyed Delford with unreadable expressions, though Henry thought he caught a smile.

“You were lucky there friend, I don’t think you’ll win a beauty contest but at least you have your beak.” Hubert said smirking. “It would be a shame to lose that wouldn’t it?”