Chapter 9 ( Your love should've made me braver)

Tay awoke the next morning sandwiched between his two best friends. Neither was willing to sleep on the couch. And Tay was not going to sleep on the couch in his own home. He threw the stray arm draped across his face away, disentangled his legs from Off's and slipped into the bathroom.

He brushed his teeth and freshened up for a bit then went to his studio to get some work done. He should be resting after all the work he put into the exhibition. However, seeing New again messed him up. He needed the escape.

When he entered the studio, the first thing he noticed was the large bouquet of sunflowers sitting at his table. He moved toward the flowers carefully like they would vanish if he made any quick movements. He examined the bouquet carefully. They looked like they could use some water and there was dirt clinging to some petals. Sticking out from the stems was a pink envelope.

"You found it." Arm announced his presence.

"Was I not supposed to? It was sitting right here?"

"You're so snarky at times." He scrunched up his nose. Coupled with his disheveled hair, he looked like a disgruntled baby. "I saw New toss this in the bin last night. I thought it was strange. So I retrieved it and voila! I found the note. I read it, sorry." He didn't look sorry. "I think you should read it too."

Tay picked out the little envelope from the stems with care. On the paper, in New's impeccable handwriting, was an address.

To the man I love, it said.

He dropped the envelope onto the table, pausing for a moment to catch his breath. He looked at Arm, mind whirling with different questions and his heart causing a racket against his ribs.

"I know, buddy," said Arm. "That is just the address. Wait until you read the contents. Good luck. If you need to cry, the space you just vacated is still warm." He offered a small wave and left Tay to himself.

Tay sat at his desk. Then stood up. He stared at the envelope for a minute straight. He started to open it and then stopped. He did this three more times. He couldn't tell if he was terrified of the content or of the person who wrote them. Maybe both.

It took thirty more minutes of fretting to finally open the envelope.

My dear Teh,

I know it seems a bit old-fashioned to write you a letter instead of texting or speaking to you in person. But I know you are the kind of person who would appreciate my archaic but romantic gesture. These few months I've known you have been the best of my life. You made me smile, you made me laugh the hardest I have in a long time and you made me cry (through no fault of yours). For the brief moment that I knew you, I felt special. You looked at and talked to me like I was more than ordinary. Like I was INTERESTING. Suddenly, my mornings weren't so gloomy and my days didn't stretch too long. Because I had you. Did I ever tell you you light up every room you walk into? If I didn't, I'm sorry. There's a lot of things I should've said to you that I never did, a lot of things I should've done that I was too scared to. My cowardice did not only hurt me. It hurt you too. You always wore your heart on your sleeves. And I always felt how much you loved me from a single look. I also felt how unsure you were of my feelings towards you. I should have been clearer; your love should've made me braver. I'm sorry I wasn't. After sleepless nights and tasteless meals, I did what I should have done the moment I knew I loved you. I broke up with Kay. I love you Tay Tawan Vihokratana. I love you with every fiber of my being. I love you like a fireplace on a winter night. Like the sea breeze on a warm summer day. I love you like the stretch of the ocean, in a great expanse of blue and rippling waves. I love you like you love me. So if it's not too late, if you still feel the same, I'll walk beside you for as long as you'd let me. This time I promise to walk with you until my legs fail me—even after my legs fail me.

Yours,
New.

'Yours, New'. Tay read the closing over and over again.

He carefully folded the letter and placed it back into its sheath. 'Yours, New'. He walked out of his home studio, almost knocking down Arm and Off who probably had their ears pressed to the door. 'Yours, New'. He pulled on a t-shirt and some pants. He ignored Off and Arm's numerous questions. 'Yours, New'. He snatched his phone from the nightstand. 'Yours, New'. He walked towards his entrance. Off and Arm intercepted him at the door.

"Where are you going?" Arm asked.

'Yours, New' Tay smiled. The first genuine one in a while. "I'm going to get my man."

His friends stepped aside and let him walk through.

'Yours, New'.

HIS.

FIN!