Chapter 6:

Jellal's POV:

I was once again visited by Erza. I would definitely be lying if I said I didn't enjoy her company. She was talkative and funny, and reminded me so much of Meredy. She was someone who was ready to carry burdens of her friends anytime. I was always in human form whenever she visited me. I thought she would like it better if she talked with a fellow human.

"Jellal? Why are you never in wolf form anymore?" She asked suddenly.

I shrugged. "I thought it would make you more comfortable to talk with me as a human."

She frowned. Did I say something to make her upset? I didn't mean to. 

She sighed. "Jellal, it doesn't matter what form you're in. I'll always be comfortable talking with you. You're my friend, after all." I smiled, relieved. I can only be in human form for so long. A day to be exact. I had slept in my human form last night and it was getting hard to keep it up. 24 hours has long been over. 

"Now then," she said. Her tone got more demanding. "Change into you're wolf form. I was starting to miss it." 

I nodded in relief and changed form. Her tone changed again and she was more at ease and less serious. She gave me an adorable pleading look and asked if she could hug me. I looked at her, curious why she would want to, and decided to say yes just to find out what she would do. Bad idea. She smiled widely and got up from her place on the ground across from me. I was sitting down in my wolf form, starting to become nervous. She sat next to me and hugged me. As soon as her skin came in contact with my fur, she instantly relaxed. She put her face in my coat and mumbled something inaudible.

"Sorry I couldn't hear you, what did you say?" I asked her.

She looked up at me with her eyes sparkling and said, "SO FLUFFY!!" She looked like a kid who had gotten exactly what she wanted for her birthday. I certainly did take good care of my fur, but I didn't think it was that soft. She hugged me tighter and laid her head against my fur covered shoulder. "You're acting like a pillow, Blueberry." She said. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Hey Erza, have you gone hunting yet?" I asked her.

She broke her hug and looked at me panicked. "No I forgot! If I come back with less than normal then they will become suspicious! They're gonna find out and they might kill you!" Her eyes started to water.

"Hey hey hey calm down. I was going to ask if you wanted me to help. I'll pin down the animals and you can kill them. I'll help with the berries too." I said, now trying to calm her down. It would be so much easier if I was in human form, but it would do for now. She looked at me with excitement in her eyes and she started getting up, beckoning me to hurry up so she won't fall far behind. I got up and ran out of the cave next to her, like a dog following his owner. We spent the afternoon up until early evening hunting. I made sure not to scratch any of the animals when I pounced. I didn't want any evidence I was there to be left behind. She could smell the wolf on the animals so she had to wash them in the river before bringing them back. While she washed them, I went and collected strawberries, bringing as many back as possible. She washed those as well, saying that she wanted to give her friends, who were also the castle cooks, less work to do.

 After she had thoroughly washed the food from its blood and wolf scent, I helped her carry the food as far as I could go, and then said goodbye, running at full speed back to my cave. I usually never went that far, because the trees in the forest started to thin out around there, and I used the trees for cover so no guards above the castle walls could see me. It was luckily night, so I blended in better. No one saw me with Erza, and if they did, they would only catch a glimpse and think it was probably the blueberries in the cart Erza brought with her. For once I was actually glad my fur looked like it was a target that blueberries were being thrown at.

I slowed down as I reached the entrance to my cave. I walked in and lay down at the end of it, becoming swallowed by the darkness around me. This is how I liked to sleep. It was easier to fall asleep when surrounded by the dark. I can't wait for Erza to come back tomorrow. This is the first time since my pack died that I've been excited about something. I think she's slowly healing that hole in my heart. There will always be a place for my pack though. Erza is my friend, but my pack is my family for life. No one can replace them. But I can find a person similar to them to remind me of our good times together. I've started with Meredy. Next is Ultear and then the others. No, I'm getting too far ahead of myself. Erza is one of the only humans that aren't mean or evil. That lowers my chance of finding people like my packmates. I should just be happy I've discovered a person like Erza. I remind myself of my vow every night. To protect her and not let anyone hurt her. This was one of those nights.

Erza's POV:

It's now a day away. The First King's Festival comes tomorrow, and the feast that takes place tomorrow night. I was nervous to say the least. I was going to meet Lyon tomorrow night, and I had no idea what he was like. I was scared he was the same person who killed Meredy. The one who called her a monster as his last words to her, and the last words she heard before she died. Jellal and I had worked out a plan that I could use as an excuse to see him after the festival. We both knew I would have to visit him less, but I would come whenever available. He promised he would wait for me, like a good friend would. I felt kind of strange when I visited him this time. It might have been how nervous I was for the festival.