Chapter 1

Xola watched curiously at the  green long grass as it passed by quickly. Enjoying the bumps on the gravel road and the dust the car left behind.

He had never seen this much green in the city, it's always tall buildings and cars everywhere. He has never even seen cows or goats anywhere but in television and books.

Finally the car came to a stop after 3 hours of driving.

What confused Zodwa was that the grass was green and tall outside the yard of the house but inside the yard the grass was very short, yellow and dead. It showed no signs of growing what so ever.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and got out. She looked up at the sky.

She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. The fresh air and green grass scent hit her nostrils. It has been years since she inhaled such clean and fresh air.

She imagined herself lying on the ground, watching the clouds change shape and disappear slowly, a cool breeze washing over her, slowly swaying the 3cm high grass side to side. For a moment there she felt free and calm.

She remembered those days her mother would take her to the valley just to spend some quality time with her away from all the troubles at home. Where they would play in the running river like they were 2 best friends. Where she would tell her mother about all her dreams and wishes, share jokes and encourage each other.

Suddenly a face of woman with white eyes, deep inflamed scratches, bloody teeth, sharp cheek bones like she had no fat but skin, black thin long wet hair appeared before her eyes like light striking the ground, furious as ever.

She snapped them open finding Zimi standing infront of her, she jumped and screamed frightened, her hands turned into fists and was ready strike.

"Zodwa!" Zimi uttered frowning, confused at her friend's sudden action. Moved Xola behind her leg, holding his back. Xola wrapped his short arms around her leg and watched his mom freak out.

Zodwa blinked numerous times trying to figure out what was happening. Her breaths were heavy, she glanced at her son who had fear in his eyes.

She glanced at her friend who was frowning, she then glanced at her fists that were in defense mode.

"What is wrong with you?" Asked Zimi harshly, throwing her left hand mid air.

"Uh-uh I-I I'm sorry." She stuttered standing straight, also trying to figure out what she just saw.

She glanced at Xola with worry in her eyes. She slightly tilted her head to the left and made puppy eyes.

Xola ran to her mother, she scooped him up and hugged him tight, "I'm sorry baby. I will never do that again."

Zodwa may be a sweet loving person but she is very manipulative.

"It's okay mommy." Said Xola against his mother's shoulder.

Zimi shook her head unbelievably and scoffed, "You people are weird." She stomped to the old wooden porch that cracked under her feet.

Zodwa carefully glanced at the house. It was big, made of wood that was clearly getting old. It had 8 visible windows 9 with the one on the door, a chimney picked ontop of the roof, a porch and a chair next to the door which was protected from the weather by the porch's roof. A dead tall tree only a few feet away from the house, with long branches slightly tapping on the window as the wind slightly blew by.

The sight of the house sent chills down her spine, but she had no choice but to accept what was given to her.

Beggars can't be choosers.