𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮 ➪ 𝙉𝙤 𝙋𝙡𝙖𝙘𝙚 𝙄'𝙙 𝙍𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝘽𝙚

August 30, 1966
19 weeks

I felt a bit of mild self-hatred when I woke up the next morning, contrary to my optimistic mood the night before. I had fallen asleep on the couch and woke up with really bad back pain.

I groaned and stretched my back upwards in attempt to find some relief, but it didn't help any so I dropped my hands on either side of me and sighed. I pulled myself up and went to find some clothes to wear before disappearing into the bathroom. Just as I was about to turn on the shower and undress, I heard the phone ring. I frowned. Who was calling me?

I went back out into the living room against my will and picked the phone up. "Hello?" I asked confusedly.

"Hey!"

A smile spread across my face. "Arabella?" I asked.

"Good morning, girl!" she said and I laughed.

"Good morning," I responded with a smile.

"How are you feeling? You're about 20 weeks now, aren't you?"

"Almost," I replied. "Nineteen right now."

"You're almost halfway done!" she said excitedly.

"I can't tell if that scares me or not," I admitted with a shake of my head.

She laughed. "Why's that?"

"I dunno. I just feel like I never want to actually have the baby? I just feel like I'm going to fail in pretty much every way."

"Oh, nonsense!" she said exasperatedly. "You're a fast learner. You'll figure it out."

"Well, I'm trying. Caroline moved in with her boyfriend yesterday, so I'm on my own now. I've got a crib and now a room, so it's a start."

"Oh, I got you some stuff!" Arabella said excitedly.

I widened my eyes in surprise. "What did you get me?" I asked curiously.

"Nope," she snapped. "It's a surprise!"

I frowned. "You bloody know that I hate surprises," I grumbled.

"Oh, in a foul mood today, are we?"

"Sorry. I slept on the couch last night. My back hurts so fucking bad."

"Oh, I've been there," she admitted sympathetically. "I imagine you've got things to do today?"

"I'm working this afternoon, and Paul will be home this evening," I replied.

"Then, I'll make this brief. I was just wondering if you're busy this weekend."

"Hmmm," I hummed, trying to think. "I actually don't think I am. I usually don't work on weekends as well."

"Brilliant! I'm gonna come and visit you!"

I smiled. "Really?"

"Of course! I've been dying to see you again and all your pregnant glory. I bet you've got the cutest little baby bump now!"

I giggled. "I don't know if cute is the word, but it's definitely a baby bump." I looked down and patted my stomach jokingly.

"Oh, I can't wait to see it!"

"Well, I'll be here waiting," I told her with a laugh. "But right now, I'm in desperate need of a hot shower, if you don't mind."

"Oh, right." She laughed. "I'll talk to you again soon, alright? Better be ready!"

"I will be," I giggled. "Bye, Arabella."

"Bye, Juliette," she replied optimistically and I hung up the phone before making my way back to the shower. I was feeling quite miserable at this point, so I turned it on and stripped down as the water was heating up. As soon as the hot water began to flow down my back, I felt more at ease, letting out a light sigh in relief.